Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: My timeshare is paid in full, but I just don't want it anymore (by KC):

stevep603 wrote:
The maintenance fee is due at the end of January, ($1300). I'm going to call RTVC one more time and basically tell them that I can no longer afford the maintenance fee and can also no longer use it. I'm going to TRY and go as HIGH as I can (ie... supervisors). If my buddy doesn't take it off my hands... I'm going to tell RTVC not to expect any further $$ from me. See what happens. It may hurt my credit for 7 years, but my wife has perfect credit as well. Thanks

You might want to consider sending your "ultimatum" in writing, where it will internally make its' way up the food chain to the right people. It's not likely that you'll make much headway just talking on the phone with administrative underlings who may not help you to successfully reach anyone "higher up" who actually has decision-making authority. The administrative personnel may, in fact, have been specifically instructed NOT to move such calls "upward". Persistence on your part may yield results, but not necessarily via phone conversations with administrative and clerical personnel. Your situation is very different from dealing with a independent resort with finite numbers of people and a HOA BoD whose President you can easily specifically identify and contact directly. It's a very different game when trying to work through the bureaucratic maze of a "vacation club", where it's much more difficult hard to specifically identify (or communicate directly with) those with actual decision-making authority. Hence, my recommendation to present your case in writing.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the (highly unlikely) prospect of a negative credit report. Again, an abandoned fully paid "membership" is really no skin off their nose at all. You own NOTHING; you just have a "membership". All they can really do is cancel that membership --- so what? If there was an unpaid outstanding loan balance, that would be another matter entirely; defaulting on a loan is guaranteed to have negative credit report consequences. However, it's likely just simply not worth the time, legal effort or expense to create negative credit report for a fully paid off but now abandoned "paper membership". Good luck, whichever way you choose proceed.