Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott Vacation Club Points (by Den):

We have owned points since the 2010 start and own weeks acquired before and after that date. We are Chairman's level.

If, I were you, I would have rescinded. Then, I would buy great resale weeks in great locations and seasons that you would want to use (select top high demand resorts). With owned weeks, you can use, trade through Interval, or rent out for cash.

Why? In use buying resale weeks is about 20 to 25% of the cost of buying enough points to get the same value in use for vacations. An example follows:

Option 1: Buy 4,200 Destination Points at $13.52 (current $15.92 less 15%) for $56,800. I suggest 4,200 points as this what you need to get an OceanWatch (Myrtle Beach) villa, Platinum Season, Ocean-side week in late June for points. So, spend about $57,000 for enough points to get 1 great week.

Option 2: Spend $57,000 to Buy "5" OceanWatch resale weeks for the same $57,000. You can easily rent these out for cash and rent other timeshare locations as an alternative to using points. You can also exchange these through Interval. The example uses OceanWatch, but you could buy different resorts and ease your way in by buying 1 at a time.

Another thought or two, it is not easy to get high demand reservations using points. There are too many points chasing too few great season weeks. Maintenance fees are lower for owned weeks. And, you can sell owned weeks later and get all or most of your money back. Points are nearly worthless in the resale market - you suffer an immediate loss in market value.