Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Asking for advice for timeshare exit (by KC):

dinar48 wrote:
Hello. I own a timeshare in Causeway on Gull, Nisswa Minnesota, first week of January, odd years. It is completely paid off. I cannot use it anymore and cannot pay maintenance fees. Asked board of directors to accept surrender of timeshare ownership. The answer was that The Timeshare Association is simply made up of the fellow timeshare families who own at Causeway on Gull. And they are not willing to accept the surrender. I tried to sell my timeshare for $1, but it did not work. Was not able to rent my week out either. Did somebody had the similar situation? And how did you manage to resolve it? Thank you in advance for your advice. Sincerely, Dina R.

Consider asking the Board / HOA if they would accept a “deedback” if you also paid the Assn. an amount equivalent to your next maintenance fee amount. This would give them 2 years in which to find a new owner. You could mention that if they decline, you will just no longer pay any fees at all, pointing out that the Assn. would then have to undertake the unwelcome (but completely avoidable) expense and effort to foreclose --- in which case they will still end up with the ownership anyhow. In short, make it a crystal clear choice between 2 options for the Board; either accept deedback now with an additional payment, or go right ahead and undertake the (avoidable) effort and expense of foreclosure, since there will be no further payment of any maintenance fees. Politely inform the Board that they must simply “pick one”.

I honestly don’t know what else you could do to find someone interested in taking on fee obligations for a January week in Minnesota. I don’t know the property, but that would seem to be a time period likely of very low demand. I can only wish you luck.