Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Transferring Timeshare to a family member (by Lance C.):

pamelap251 wrote:
Without our knowledge my siblings and i have discovered that our names and the names of our spouses were recorded on the deed of our mother's timeshare. How can we (Her children) get our names off the deed.

I'm assuming your mother passed away some time ago. If that is the case and you and your siblings have passed the legal time you had to disclaim the timeshare, then the best way to "get [your] names off the deed" would be to find a new owner. Try contacting the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) and mention that your mother is deceased (assuming she's deceased) and that neither you nor your siblings have any interest whatsoever to keep ownership. Ask if the resort's HOA will take the unit back. The HOA might agree to it but might also ask that you pay closing costs.

You can also try selling it or giving it away. Advertise it here on RedWeek that you want to give it away. Other good websites to advertise it are My Resort Network, E-Bay, Craigslist, and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com). There they have a Bargain Deals section where you can advertise free of charge that you want to give the unit away.

The thing not to do is to seek the services of law firms, charities, or other companies that claim they can get you out of your timeshare (words in the companies' names such as "exit", "relief", "escape", "cancel", etc. are indicators) because they will charge you thousands of dollars upfront and might not do what you paid them to do. Not to mention, it appears that some of these companies are being sued by timeshare companies/resorts for using illegal means to get owners out of their timeshares.