Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Transferring Timeshare to a family member

Mar 15, 2012

I own a deeded 2 bedroom 1 week or 92500 points per year at Vacation Village at Parkway in Florida.How would I go about signing this over to my son now.

Louise T.
Mar 16, 2012

You can do it using a quit claim deed .... you can google quit claim deeds to find out more.

R P.
Mar 16, 2012

Thank You for the Info.

Louise T.
Mar 16, 2012

louiset41 wrote:
Thank You for the Info.

You're most welcome.

R P.
Mar 17, 2012

After filling out the Quit claim deed to transfer to my son does it have to be recorded in the state where the Timeshare is located? I live in Georgia and my Timeshare is in Florida

Louise T.
Mar 18, 2012

louiset41 wrote:
After filling out the Quit claim deed to transfer to my son does it have to be recorded in the state where the Timeshare is located? I live in Georgia and my Timeshare is in Florida

Yes, the transfer has to be recorded in the county where the timeshare is located.

R P.
Mar 19, 2012

Can this just be mailed or does it have to be delivered personally to get it recorded?

Louise T.
Mar 19, 2012

Call the clerk's office and they will tell you how to go about it.

Don P.
Mar 25, 2018

Without our knowledge my siblings and i have discovered that our names and the names of our spouses were recorded on the deed of our mother's timeshare. How can we (Her children) get our names off the deed.

Pamela P.
Mar 25, 2018

pamelap251 wrote:
Without our knowledge my siblings and i have discovered that our names and the names of our spouses were recorded on the deed of our mother's timeshare. How can we (Her children) get our names off the deed.

I'm assuming your mother passed away some time ago. If that is the case and you and your siblings have passed the legal time you had to disclaim the timeshare, then the best way to "get [your] names off the deed" would be to find a new owner. Try contacting the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) and mention that your mother is deceased (assuming she's deceased) and that neither you nor your siblings have any interest whatsoever to keep ownership. Ask if the resort's HOA will take the unit back. The HOA might agree to it but might also ask that you pay closing costs.

You can also try selling it or giving it away. Advertise it here on RedWeek that you want to give it away. Other good websites to advertise it are My Resort Network, E-Bay, Craigslist, and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com). There they have a Bargain Deals section where you can advertise free of charge that you want to give the unit away.

The thing not to do is to seek the services of law firms, charities, or other companies that claim they can get you out of your timeshare (words in the companies' names such as "exit", "relief", "escape", "cancel", etc. are indicators) because they will charge you thousands of dollars upfront and might not do what you paid them to do. Not to mention, it appears that some of these companies are being sued by timeshare companies/resorts for using illegal means to get owners out of their timeshares.

Lance C.
Mar 26, 2018

My mother is still living. She was unaware that the list of heirs they asked for at time of purchase would be recorded on sale. Her understanding was the list was for first right of refusal. Her husband Is deceased. We would like to get our names off this deed,

Pamela P.
Mar 26, 2018

Whew! Glad to hear your mother is still alive. Now if she is okay with getting your names off the deeds, I would get you, her, and your siblings to contact the resort and ask what needs to be done in order to get your names off the deed. The resort might send you some documents to sign.

This would also probably be a good time for you and your siblings to learn what to do with the unit should your mother pass away.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Mar 26, 2018 06:49 PM

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you. That is the plan.

Pamela P.
Jul 29, 2021

My mother wants to transfer me her timeshare in NC. I am reading that I need an attorney or a real estate broker to "close " it. Is that correct or can I just file a Quit Claim Deed?

Ann O.
Jul 29, 2021

anno106 wrote:
My mother wants to transfer me her timeshare in NC. I am reading that I need an attorney or a real estate broker to "close " it. Is that correct or can I just file a Quit Claim Deed?

First of all, do you really want this timeshare? Make sure you know all the ins and outs, ups and downs, pros and cons of owning a timeshare. If so, then you can use a low-cost service such as Legal Timeshare Transfers.

If, after all things considered, you decide that taking over ownership is not for you, then follow the oft-mentioned suggestions on how to get rid of a timeshare.

Lance C.
Jul 30, 2021

anno106 wrote:

A broker is completely irrelevant in such a matter and using / paying an attorney is not necessary. A new deed with your mother as "grantor" and you as new "grantee" would need to be prepared and officially recorded and this is something that your mother would need to initiate as the current owner and "grantor-to-be". LT Transfers in GA could walk you through the entire process and handle the entire matter for under $300, including new deed preparation and payment of the requisite County recording fees and providing later formal notification to the resort of the permanent ownership change after the new deed gets officially recorded.

That being said, Lance makes some excellent and important points above. If you become the new "grantee" now, then you will become sole owner and you will thereafter be permanently responsible for annual maintenance fees. I am not offering you any family or legal advice here, but bear in mind that you could instead just leave the existing deed alone and pay your mother's maintenance fees for her if this is a matter of financial concern, and inherit the timeshare later ONLY if you CHOOSE to do so after your mother's passing. However, if you become the sole owner of record as the new "grantee" now, any such future choice and option will not exist. You will permanently become the owner of record and responsible for any and all future fees --- like it or not.

Food for thought and serious consideration before initiating a course of action with very permanent consequences.

P.S. Some above have made casual references to the "easy" nature of "quit claim" deeds. However, I will point out that if and when the current deed is already a Warranty Deed, in my opinion it is unwise (foolish, actually) to unnecessarily "downgrade" from a Warranty Deed to a quitclaim deed. In the event of future resale, a Warranty Deed can provide some confidence and credibility to a savvy potential buyer. It literally costs nothing more to prepare and record a Warranty Deed instead of a quit claim deed --- but this is only an option if the current deed is already a Warranty Deed.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 01, 2021 01:42 PM

Apr 01, 2022

My now ex-husband and I together own 3 Marriott timeshares- two in Florida -Orlando area and one in Hawaii on Maui. In the divorce agreement he took sole financial responsibility and “ownership” of the timeshares in our signed agreement but we didn’t make it official on ownership papers due to what he said would be excessive costs. I can’t believe I didn’t take care of this during the divorce process. Anyway, how do I remove my name from the timeshares? Do I have to hire a lawyer or one of the get rid of timeshares companies? I fear that my husband will file papers to take his name off them first dumping the burden on me despite our agreement! Thank you in advance for any advice. Paula B., NY Resident

Paula B.
Jul 09, 2022

From what I have read, you could just do a quitclaim deed which removes your name and leaves his name on the deed. You shouldn't need a lawyer or to do this. You can google it and find out more information.

Shawna T.
Jul 09, 2022

I need to transfer my timeshare to a family member using a quitclaim form. Does anyone know if I use the form from the state I live in or the state the property is located in? My state only requires the grantor to sign, but the state where the timeshare is located requires both the grantor and grantee to sign...who lives in yet a 3rd state. Not sure which is the right one.

Shawna T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.