Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare? (by KC):

redwe wrote:
I just wanted to know how many people have had sold timeshares on redweek and how successful this site is? I have heard nothing but good things about this site and just wondering what is an average on how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

There is no accurate "one size fits all" answer to your question, nor is there any "average time". Every individual situation is different. Among the many factors involved in selling a timeshare (...on RedWeek or anywhere else) are the desirability, demand and location of the resort, the week (or season), unit size, maintenance fees, annual or biennial use, reservation policies, fixed or flex week (or points), next available usage and, of course, the asking price.

That being said, I personally sold seven timeshare weeks (all were advertised only on RedWeek) since around 2010 when we decided to pare down our timeshare ownerships to just a few weeks. None took more than a month or so to successfully find a buyer on RedWeek. Closings took another 4-6 weeks beyond that. However, as previously stated, every individual situation is different. All of the weeks I sold were winter weeks in Florida at independent (not "chain") facilities, all were in coastal locations (all except one were on SW FL Gulf Coast; the other one was on the East Coast of FL), all at resorts with good management and reasonable maintenance fees. In other words, they were all relatively high demand weeks at locations with limited supply, in a desirable season at decent resorts and all were very competitively and realistically priced.

If your price is too high, you may never find a buyer. Although it may be difficult to accept, no one cares what you paid previously. The only thing that matters is the actual resale value of your timeshare in the open market today. If you bought (and overpaid) directly from a developer, you are going to take a very serious beating in the resale market --- regardless of where you advertise.

If what you seek to sell is in Orlando, FL or Branson, MO, where timeshares are literally "a dime a dozen", you may have a long and very difficult road ahead (except for Disney, which has value). If what you seek to sell is DRI, Wyndham or Westgate, you may have difficulty even giving it away for free (likewise with most Mexican timeshares).

I hope that some of my RedWeek experiences and /or other observations above are of some help to you. Good luck.