Divorce mess

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Divorce mess (by KC):

cherylp346 wrote:
...my ex got awarded timeshare in divorce. I foolishly never checked on that. He died and had never taken my name off deed. Ughhhhh. They won’t take it back. (Although I haven’t contact HOA I only asked owners services. Any advice? It’s paid off and up to date on maintenance fees. I just can’t afford the maintenance fees and won’t ever use it. It’s a beautiful place. Sheraton in Myrtle. Thanks in advance!

A new deed with you (as grantor) relinquishing your interest to the ex (as sole grantee) should have been prepared and recorded when you got divorced, but that ship has obviously sailed.

Your best bet now is to plead your case directly to the HOA President, explaining your circumstances and making it crystal clear that you have no intentions of paying even one penny in maintenance fees at any time. Make it equally clear that if they do not voluntarily accept a "deedback", then they can just go right ahead and undertake the unnecessary time and expense of foreclosure instead. Give them two very clear, non-negotiable choices and let them pick one. If they have any sense, they will accept a "deedback". If not, let them foreclose.