Jan 03, 2007

I don't normally complain but I thought I should post a note here so others don't fall trap to this resort. Don't look at the pictures and assume you will be staying in the new section. Much of the resort is over 20 years old and more importantly, very poorly maintained. If you read some of the notes in the ratings you will see some of the same problems I had with the resort. Filthy bug infested condo's that were furnished with old appliances and furniture. The condo was so dirty I thought they forgot to clean it over the past SEVERAL rentals. The staff was rude and would not acknowledge my complaints until I threatened to post my pictures on the internet. How RCI rates this as a Gold Crown resort is beyond me. I was so mad I cancelled my 15 year membership with RCI. When I complained to them they said I should have not been so worried about the unit age and cleanliness as I was in Orlando and should not have been spending much time at the unit anyway! Hence, they acknowledged the problem but turned their heads. All I can say is for those rating this as a 5 star, either they stayed in the new section or where they live must be something less then I am accustomed to. Consequently I can't really say I stayed there as I left the resort before nightfall and stayed in a hotel for that week.

Tim H.

Last edited by timh98 on May 25, 2007 05:36 PM

Jan 10, 2007

timh98 wrote:
I don't normally complain but I thought I should post a note here so others don't fall trap to this resort. Don't look at the pictures and assume you will be staying in the new section. Much of the resort is over 20 years old and more importantly, very poorly maintained. If you read some of the notes in the ratings you will see some of the same problems I had with the resort. Filthy bug infested condo's that were furnished with old appliances and furniture. The condo was so dirty I thought they forgot to clean it over the past SEVERAL rentals. The staff was rude and would not acknowledge my complaints until I threatened to post my pictures on the internet. How RCI rates this as a Gold Crown resort is beyond me. I was so mad I cancelled my 15 year membership with RCI. When I complained to them they said I should have not been so worried about the unit age and cleanliness as I was in Orlando and should not have been spending much time at the unit anyway! Hence, they acknowledged the problem but turned their heads. All I can say is for those rating this as a 5 star, either they stayed in the new section or where they live must be something less then I am accustomed to. Consequently I can't really say I stayed there as I left the resort before nightfall and stayed in a hotel for that week.
Whoa, Tim. You must have had a bad experience cuz you're mad! We got into a smoking unit the first time and it was evening, couldn't see the beautifully maintained grounds and amenities; we went to the desk and politely complained. We were moved to a beautiful unit which we have been going to for five years since. In fact we now own a week at OLCC so we can go back. We get three units for our family and I can tell you, you have missed a real treat at Orange Lake if you have kids or grandkids. We spend many weeks there each year. It is a great place, the staff if accommodating and fast to serve and maintain. We have nothing but rave reviews from family and friends. As we are in the hospitality business ourselves, I KNOW it is difficult to meet everyone's expectations. OLCC is redoing the units you disliked but most are very nice and 5 star as advertised. Too bad you didn't stick around.

Susan W.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:37 PM

Jan 21, 2007

timh98 wrote:
Could you please tell me when you stayed there? I go in October and I'd like to know how long ago this was. Also, I can handle 20 year old buildings as long as they are clean. Were your bugs alive or dead and what kind of bugs were they?

Thanks -sheila

Sheila A.

Jan 21, 2007

susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:
Whoa, Tim. You must have had a bad experience cuz you're mad! We got into a smoking unit the first time and it was evening, couldn't see the beautifully maintained grounds and amenities; we went to the desk and politely complained. We were moved to a beautiful unit which we have been going to for five years since. In fact we now own a week at OLCC so we can go back. We get three units for our family and I can tell you, you have missed a real treat at Orange Lake if you have kids or grandkids. We spend many weeks there each year. It is a great place, the staff if accommodating and fast to serve and maintain. We have nothing but rave reviews from family and friends. As we are in the hospitality business ourselves, I KNOW it is difficult to meet everyone's expectations. OLCC is redoing the units you disliked but most are very nice and 5 star as advertised. Too bad you didn't stick around.
Did you get to actually see these 20 year old units and their new facelifts? I am anxious for our trip in October and I hope we aren't disappointed.

-Sheila

Sheila A.

Jan 22, 2007

sheilaa40 wrote:
susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:
Did you get to actually see these 20 year old units and their new facelifts? I am anxious for our trip in October and I hope we aren't disappointed.

-Sheila

It was a couple years ago. Did not know of any facelifts. The way I was treated at this point no facelift would make me want to travel back there. I was essentially stranded as the place they gave me was filthy and they had no other options. By 11:00 that evening we had found a hotel to stay. Good luck!

Tim H.

Jan 22, 2007

susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:
The difference in your experience and mine was they did something for you. I wish my problems were that simple. The unit they gave me had filth everywhere and it was all they had to offer. If had you been treated like me and had the problem I had, you would not be returning. My two children are also allergic to smoke so I had to leave. At this point it would not make a difference if they leveled the old units and built new ones. I would never give them the business. We almost never found a place for my family to stay that night. It was 11:00 at night when we found lodging. Not discounting your experience as I doubt you would lie, but no one should ever have to live mine.

Tim H.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:38 PM

Jan 23, 2007

sheilaa40 wrote:
susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:

-Sheila

Sheila: I am down here at Orange Lake right now and can see all the work going on. All new drywall, furniture, granite counter tops, very nice. I have been watching them do it since our last stay in Nov. for two weeks. We are here a month, now, and I wouldn't change it. We have looked at all the other RCI units around Kissimmee and these are far and away the best unless you want a high rise getto with pools in the middle and no sun after noon. We got one of those for our son's family last week and though the unit was lovely, and people were enjoying, there is nothing to do but pool and a few planned activities. At OLCC there are two mini golf games, 5 great golf courses, 7 pool areas, open space galore, natural habitats, (it backs up to Animal Kingdom) magnificent landscaping, grocery store, mail, computer cafe, movies, planned activities for all ages, the new River Island moving pool, a great new restaurant, several other mediocre ones, and very nice personel. Sounds like I work here? I don't. But we have been here at least 10 times from a two week- four week stays and I can not be positive enough. You will not be disappointed. I was apprehensive from just looking at the web until some of our own patrons in our hospitality business told us they had stayed there and loved it. I don't think Tim gave it a chance and then his angry words got printed over and over. Too bad. We have had a few impossible to please guests in our 34 years in this business and there is not much you can do if the displeasure is within. Hope this gives you some encouragement. Regards, Susan

Susan W.

Jan 23, 2007

susanw275 wrote:
sheilaa40 wrote:
susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:

-Sheila

Sheila: I am down here at Orange Lake right now and can see all the work going on. All new drywall, furniture, granite counter tops, very nice. I have been watching them do it since our last stay in Nov. for two weeks. We are here a month, now, and I wouldn't change it. We have looked at all the other RCI units around Kissimmee and these are far and away the best unless you want a high rise getto with pools in the middle and no sun after noon. We got one of those for our son's family last week and though the unit was lovely, and people were enjoying, there is nothing to do but pool and a few planned activities. At OLCC there are two mini golf games, 5 great golf courses, 7 pool areas, open space galore, natural habitats, (it backs up to Animal Kingdom) magnificent landscaping, grocery store, mail, computer cafe, movies, planned activities for all ages, the new River Island moving pool, a great new restaurant, several other mediocre ones, and very nice personel. Sounds like I work here? I don't. But we have been here at least 10 times from a two week- four week stays and I can not be positive enough. You will not be disappointed. I was apprehensive from just looking at the web until some of our own patrons in our hospitality business told us they had stayed there and loved it. I don't think Tim gave it a chance and then his angry words got printed over and over. Too bad. We have had a few impossible to please guests in our 34 years in this business and there is not much you can do if the displeasure is within. Hope this gives you some encouragement. Regards, Susan

Susan Thank you for you most hopeful report. We have never used any of our RCI weeks (this is a first for us) and so we were nervous when we read some of the reports. I am of the mindset that if it is dirty I certainly know how to clean if given the supplies and I know for my family of four that space is such a huge deal to us and the space will be most appreciated! The units sound very well laid out.

This is going to be a R&R vacation mixed with some Orlando theme parks. Orange lake sounds like a park all of its own! We are pulling the kids out of school to do this and we just want it to be a great family trip for all of us. Thanks for alleviating 9 months of worry for me ( I am the vacation planner!) so I will feel free to exhale now and wait patiently for October.

Your report was well written an most appreciated by myself and my husband.

Thanks so much! -Sheila

Sheila A.

Jan 23, 2007

susanw275 wrote:
sheilaa40 wrote:
susanw275 wrote:
timh98 wrote:

-Sheila

Tim H.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:39 PM

Jan 23, 2007

I am very happy they are fixing the place up and I am also happy you feel it is wonderful for you. That is not my point. Clearly if you would like I can post the pictures of the unit we were given and the filth within. I can't reproduce the smoke smell but it was enough to cause issues with someone with allergies I really don't believe I was being impossible. A clean room without smoke. I rate businesses on how they recover when a problem arises. This was not a good one as they would not even provide me with a different unit. Don't know what else I was suppose to do and don't want to see others have the same issues with management. There are too many choices too pick a bad one and all I am saying is buyer beware. PS. Sound like a great place to vacation watching all the drywall, furniture and countertops. And yes you are right, it does sound like you work there!

Tim H.

Jan 31, 2007

I have been going to Orange Lake since 1986 and between myself and my family, we own 7 weeks. I have never been disappointed and always ahd a great time. All the old units are in the process of being updated an I stayed in one in Dec. that was better than the new ones. Don't spoil others fun with one bad experience, I have never even seen a bug and we go from N.H. 2x a year...it's a place that you don't need to even leave the resort( we are Disneyed out)to have a great time. I feel bad for you...you should write them a letter and maybe they could resolve it. Sorry....Lynn

Lynn O.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:39 PM

Jan 31, 2007

Thanks Lynn: This is Susan responding to your nice letter. I am sure that 99.9% of the customers are happy here and this is my fifth week this season. No, Tim, I'm not watching the rehab and of course I don not work here. I own a resort in another state. I am interested in how people take their vacations and since I have been welcoming guests for 34 years myself from all the states and many countries I am concerned about getting accurate and unemotional comments. We hope to please the guest as they seem to do here, in my opinion. I have just noticed that the dumpsters are full and I see the new stuff going in. Gosh, can't you leave it alone? I swim laps every morning and gofl evey aft. so I am hardly WATCHING, but have observed that and the many happy customers who are doing things like I am. We have had our grandchildren here in their own units twice and they love the splash lagoon and the lazy river pools as well as the slides and I love the warm water pools.

Susan W.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:41 PM

Feb 12, 2007

OK. TO THE POINT HERE. SUSAN, SINCE YOU SEEM TO KNOW A LOT ABOUT ORANGE LAKE, WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO ME, A WIFE AND MOTHER OF 2 THAT IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR VACATION PLANNING. I DO IT ALL AND SO FAR I HAVENT DISAPPOINTED THEM WITH MY CHOICES. BUT, I HAVE TO ADMIT, I'M A TAD BIT RELUCTANT AFTER READING TIM'S HORRIBELE EXPERIENCES. LASTLY, DO YOU EXPECT THE RENO TO BE COMPLETED BY JULY? WE ARE PLANNING A VISIT 6TH-13TH!! THANKS FOR ANY INPUT, FELICIA

Felicia B.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:42 PM

Feb 13, 2007

Felicia: We are still here and have played golf with a couple who are staying for two weeks in one of the rennovated units. They love it and as we did, they found OLCC on the web and were not sure until we got here, exactly what to expect.

I would suggest you get here right on time to check in (2:00) and specifiy what you want. They have been completely pro visitor, in my opinion. If you want a first floor bec. of the children's ages, ask for that. if the view is more important, ask for that. We have found the personel to be very accommodating. Your children will love the pools and planned activities. They are great for all ages.

As I swim my early AM laps in the warm pool, I see the older folks at stretch exercise. There are so many pools of different sorts. You have to look around. There are two mini golf courses, two 18 holes and two nines. The landscaping is beautiful and there is not a paper or blade of grass out of place.

It really saddens me that the title of this message that Tim wrote has stuck. That is what people are going to see if they don't read this whole thing. Nothing could be less true, and we are particular. If something needs fixing, they are there within the hour. I wanted my windows washed where the sprinkler had been wetting them and there was green stuff. The maintenance man was there immediately and washed the porch and the windows with Clorox. We get a complimentary cleaning when staying more than a week, all the kitchens are uniformly outfitted. We have stayed in many different units over the years and have not been disappointed.

As far as the reno being done before you get here? It is probably never done as they have so many units, it is an ongoing process. I have inquired and have been told that every 7 years, everything is done over. These a very nicely appointed units and we, as grandparents think they are especially well done for children. Teens seem to have a great deal of fun here, too and we hope to continue doing our family vacations with our five grandchildren and their parents until they are in their teens and can't leave school.

We can see the fireworks of two Disney Parks from the landing and the entrances are four miles away. Even we old folks like Epcot and had a great dinner at the french restaunant the other night, however, the best place to eat is the new River Island Grill. Great food, better than any and very family friendly.

I hope that this gives you a little confidence. I think you chose correctly and I would be more than happy to answer any more questions you have. We own and operate a summer resort and are very interested in this kind of business (tho ours is 1/100th the size of this), it amazes us how they do this so well. It is a huge undertaking, and I sure don't see what the fuss was about, except that unfortunately for Tim, it was probably a busy time and he wasn't handled correctly. I wish his experience had been better, but sometimes a person can not be appeased. I believe you will not be disappointed. Susan

Susan W.

Feb 14, 2007

susanw275 Felicia: We are still here and have played golf with a couple who are staying for two weeks in one of the rennovated units. They love it and as we did, they found OLCC on the web and were not sure until we got here, exactly what to expect.

I would suggest you get here right on time to check in (2:00) and specifiy what you want. They have been completely pro visitor, in my opinion. If you want a first floor bec. of the children's ages, ask for that. if the view is more important, ask for that. We have found the personel to be very accommodating. Your children will love the pools and planned activities. They are great for all ages.

As I swim my early AM laps in the warm pool, I see the older folks at stretch exercise. There are so many pools of different sorts. You have to look around. There are two mini golf courses, two 18 holes and two nines. The landscaping is beautiful and there is not a paper or blade of grass out of place.

It really saddens me that the title of this message that Tim wrote has stuck. That is what people are going to see if they don't read this whole thing. Nothing could be less true, and we are particular. If something needs fixing, they are there within the hour. I wanted my windows washed where the sprinkler had been wetting them and there was green stuff. The maintenance man was there immediately and washed the porch and the windows with Clorox. We get a complimentary cleaning when staying more than a week, all the kitchens are uniformly outfitted. We have stayed in many different units over the years and have not been disappointed.

As far as the reno being done before you get here? It is probably never done as they have so many units, it is an ongoing process. I have inquired and have been told that every 7 years, everything is done over. These a very nicely appointed units and we, as grandparents think they are especially well done for children. Teens seem to have a great deal of fun here, too and we hope to continue doing our family vacations with our five grandchildren and their parents until they are in their teens and can't leave school.

We can see the fireworks of two Disney Parks from the landing and the entrances are four miles away. Even we old folks like Epcot and had a great dinner at the french restaunant the other night, however, the best place to eat is the new River Island Grill. Great food, better than any and very family friendly.

I hope that this gives you a little confidence. I think you chose correctly and I would be more than happy to answer any more questions you have. We own and operate a summer resort and are very interested in this kind of business (tho ours is 1/100th the size of this), it amazes us how they do this so well. It is a huge undertaking, and I sure don't see what the fuss was about, except that unfortunately for Tim, it was probably a busy time and he wasn't handled correctly. I wish his experience had been better, but sometimes a person can not be appeased. I believe you will not be disappointed. Susan

Felicia B.

Feb 14, 2007

feliciab2

susanw275 wrote:
Felicia: We are still here and have played golf with a couple who are staying for two weeks in one of the rennovated units. They love it and as we did, they found OLCC on the web and were not sure until we got here, exactly what to expect.

Susan, I really appreciate your message. I 've been frantically awaiting it. My husband was just talking about FL yesterday and I thought about OLCC. I value your opinion and I believe we will have an awesome time. Thanks and I hope to be back sometime in July with a good report. Have a GREAT day!! Felicia

Felicia B.

Feb 15, 2007

feliciab2

feliciab2 wrote:
susanw275 wrote:

Susan, I really appreciate your message. I 've been frantically awaiting it. My husband was just talking about FL yesterday and I thought about OLCC. I value your opinion and I believe we will have an awesome time. Thanks and I hope to be back sometime in July with a good report. Have a GREAT day!! Felicia

GRAB YOUR SUNTAN LOTION AND HAVE FUN, we have gone to orange lake for 12 years and find it very accomadating relaxing and fun all at the same time, depending on what you want to do. 1 bad expieience for every 10,000 good,sorry it happened glad it was not to me

Daniel W.

Mar 04, 2007

Tim,

I can't believe that you are talking about OLCC. We've owned 2 villa's since 1988. They've been remodeled 3 times and are being renovated again. They've never been in bad shape when we've been there. They thoughly clean each unit after someone moves out with a team of cleaners. We've seen this over and over. Maybe somehow you got one that accidentally didn't get clean. We've exchanged to many timeshares and none compare to OLCC. Whenever we've had a problem, it was taken care of in a timely manner. Our family has had many great, memorable vacations there. Now our son proudly owns a week and we're taking grandchildren. There's no better place then OLCC. We've had friends and relatives stay there through the years at times different than us and all had great experiences. Some even bought. We bought during their early years and they've far exceeded our expectations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It's a shame that you have chosen this title.

FHW/OHIO

Franklyn W.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2007 08:44 PM

Mar 12, 2007

I can't believe you didn't like Orange Lake. We own 3 weeks here and have never had a bad condo. We own in the North and East villages and they are very well kept and very clean. I love the open area's, the lazy river, and all the activities. If we have ever needed anything, it is brought right away. We have been staying there for 7 years now. I have to admit the sales people will tell you anything to make a sale, so before buying check with member services about what you are told. If you buy in west, you will stay in the west and so forth. Those are the oldest condos. RCI will usually put you in the west if you exchange. When we were down there in January they were all being redone. I think you need to give them another chance.

Darrell B.

Mar 12, 2007

sunrisehawaii wrote:
I can't believe you didn't like Orange Lake. We own 3 weeks here and have never had a bad condo. We own in the North and East villages and they are very well kept and very clean. I love the open area's, the lazy river, and all the activities. If we have ever needed anything, it is brought right away. We have been staying there for 7 years now. I have to admit the sales people will tell you anything to make a sale, so before buying check with member services about what you are told. If you buy in west, you will stay in the west and so forth. Those are the oldest condos. RCI will usually put you in the west if you exchange. When we were down there in January they were all being redone. I think you need to give them another chance.
Well thanks for updating me on the changes. I am sure there has been improvements since I was there. It was beyond beleif when we attempted to stay and they made my wife, my children and myself sit around and wait untail nearly 11:00 and night while we waited for a unit that was clean only to tell us they did not have anythin. This forced us search for somewhere else to stay did not make me feel very good. So I know I am not alone in this and the majority of the people would not return if they had been treated like me. I will find the pictures I took and all that look at them can be the judge. Like I said, maybe they fixed it up but that does not change my fellings about what they did. Good businesses get measured on how they recover from a mistake and for that I give them a 1 out of 10.

Tim H.

This thread is closed. Try searching for a topic or browse our list of forums to join the discussion.