Timeshare Exchanges

Can't We Get Rid Of Provisional Listings?

Sep 06, 2008

I agree with the recommendation that provisional listings should be done away with. I deposited first, and found a suitable exchange afterwards. I really appreciate being able to see the entire inventory and I hope that more folks will use Redweek for exchanges, so that it gets better for all.

I hate dealing with RCI. I always have a search request going on with over 8 months already and I never get contacted. You don't see what's available when you want it and their exchange system doesn't make sense. A few years ago I was told nothing was available for Hawaii at Christmas whenever I called to follow up. My friend who owns a 2 bedroom instead of a 3 bedroom at the same resort in Orlando as us (different week but older unit to boot) then called and was told immediately, "oh yes, we have one available right now". They couldn't explain why a unit was available for him, but not me. Anyway, I recently asked if I could reverse my 8 month deposit at RCI as I'd rather go with Redweek, but told "no can do".

Anyone have any advice on how to get more cooperation out of RCI? Complaining, and telling them that Redweek is better, didn't get me anywhere.

Jeff F.
Sep 07, 2008

As far as RCI is concerned, I have owned a fixed week since 1984 and I can tell you it's gotten worse every year. You have no power and the people who answer the phone can't tell you what your "score" is or if you could ever even hope to exchange somewhere like Hawaii.

They have become partial to the points sytem but I'll be darned if I'm going to give them several thousand more dollars just to "convert" to points. Like any business, if they continue to be nonresponsive to their customers, they will lose those customers and profits go down. I have my fingers crossed that redweek has a successful exchange product that peole get comfortable with. I see Hawaii listed all the time. I know there's a cost difference sometimes,but what's the true cost if you can't EVER trade to somewhere you want to go? If it makes you feel better, try pricing some of these resorts as if you were coming from the outside. Many times, it's still a significant savings to make a redweek trade. (No, I don't work for redweek. I'm looking for an exchange myself right now).

Brenda T.
Sep 07, 2008

Re: >> Anyone have any advice on how to get more cooperation out of RCI? << ==============================================

Well, at least one group of people decided that the answer might be to just SUE them....

The results of Murillo vs. RCI should be known in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, the best way to deal with RCI may very well be to just not deal with them at all. Plummeting numbers of deposits is bound to get their attention sooner or later, since without deposits they will be (quite literally) "out of business".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 07, 2008 05:21 PM

Sep 08, 2008

I AGREE. I think RedWee looks like an incredible method of exchanging, but we need more people depositing first. we are new to this and I had just purchased a 5 year membership with Interval.

Then I found RedWeek. I joined this also, and deposited our 09 week and am very hopeful. LOVE the expanded # of choices over the other exchange companies. LOVE the forums, LOVE how much information you can get about different resorts, and interaction with other timeshare owners. Now I just hope to find the exchange we want ---- deposited, not just on the provisional listings ! Kathy

Kathy L.
Sep 09, 2008

Kathy it is great you like Redweek but stating your new to all this sounds like you need to do some learning too!

Before you jump off the II exchange you need to understand some things about II that more than makes it worth the money.

Why would you join and not even try it just makes no sense!

First if you bought your timeshare and joined II you probably own a nice timeshare resort.

II is one of the best as far as exchanging companies go and have the higher tier resorts.

We left Rci back in 1987 and never looked back and bought a timeshare dealing with II and have never regretted it.

II works on a fair exchange system so if you bought a nice two bedroom then you can make a fair exchanges for two bedrooms or smaller.

With II if like us you bought a timeshare and like going there most years you can do a request first which means you pay your fee make your picks of resorts and weeks you would like. Then go on about your life until you get a notice or phone call that your exchange has been made or they have something you might want.

If at anytime you decide to not exchange you call and cancel your search and get your refund and unit back.

With II you also have getaways that are really cheap and you can grab one anytime.

I just posted last week how Hawaii has a bunch now because of the airline problems and cost and they are higher tier resorts than Redweek has ever shown available on here and much cheaper.

A lady on here was just saying they went to their Maui resort for a week and grabbed a getaway on Maui for second week and by flying during the week saved enough to pay for the getaway.

Next if you have a resort in demand II will offer you a A/C to get you two weeks for small fee and these are great and if you can pick under 59 days you really get some good resorts maybe larger than you own!

There are some great things about II you should learn before falling in love with Redweek's Exchange.

Also with your II when you make your exchange the fee is all you pay and not all this over pricing Redweek has.

With Redweek many have to pay big bucks to Redweek to get a exchange when you can many times find the same units on the Redweek rental site for half the price.

Also remember that II has the better resorts in most cases and Redweek gets the lower tier resorts.

You have now lost your 2009 week to Redweek and have three years to hopfully find a exchange when you had all these options with your II acct and your not even checking it out.

I stated last year that this would be a good little secondary exchange site for Rci members because of all the hard feelings about Rci but doubt many II members would use it.

Why would anyone want to pay Redweek cash on top of the other charges makes no sense!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 22, 2008 07:28 AM

Sep 09, 2008

kathyl219 wrote:
I AGREE. I think RedWeek looks like an incredible method of exchanging, but we need more people depositing first. we are new to this and I had just purchased a 5 year membership with Interval.

Then I found RedWeek. I joined this also, and deposited our 09 week and am very hopeful. LOVE the expanded # of choices over the other exchange companies. LOVE the forums, LOVE how much information you can get about different resorts, and interaction with other timeshare owners. Now I just hope to find the exchange we want ---- deposited, not just on the provisional listings ! Kathy

Kathy it does sound like you are new to all this and Phil gave you some good advice about learning the workings of II.

We were with Rci for many years and very unhappy about the lack of service. All our friends were walking away from Rci because they had just had it and went to II and loved it.

We have now been with II for over ten years because of our Lake Tahoe Resort. I can tell you it was night and day when you compare Rci to II in service and resorts.

We sold two of our timeshares last year because of these getaways and spend less money and time than owning those resorts.

Give II a chance and save your money because with II you have exchange fee and that is it. No more cash out of your pocket!

We started to give Redweek a chance last year but to pay exchange fee and your unit and then come up with cash is crazy.

I never understood and still do not in how they can charge 2200-2500 in points /cash for a resort and you find same time and resort on their rental for half that cost. This is just over my head as to how this is fair exchanging.

If you get points that are fair to the value of your resort and can also get fair exchange without trading down then this might be a good second outlet for exchanging.

This stops being worth while for us when you have to add cash with your unit to make the exchange unless you really want to move up in a trade.

Darlene!

Darlene P.
Sep 09, 2008

Thanks for all your input. We actually do have our '08 week exchanged through II and are looking forward to that vacation in Feb. And because we banked a week they wanted, we got a great Resort Accomodation Certificate price at another resort we're using in Jan.

And i intend to bank our 2010 week with II also, so that I can use both RedWeek AND II to arrange a much desired family vacation at Marriott Grande Ocean on Hilton Head in June of 2010. So I figured i'd work with a banked week in RedWeek and a banked week in II to see which one produces the best results. So, you see, I haven't given up on II at all, I just am experimenting a little to learn. We have a one bedroom floating week at a beautiful brand new Las Vegas resort, so I kind of liked that idea of using Redweek points plus a little extra money to upgrade on a reservation to a larger unit or better resort. At II They tell me that if I work on the phone (as opposed to online) with people there, they'll do that too, for a straight exchange, no extra fees. But I don;t know how hard that might be. Still learning. THanks for your help ! Kathy

Kathy L.
Sep 10, 2008

Kathy, glad to hear you are trying II system and you will like it. most of the members that complain about II own a small unit in a area or season not in demand and get mad because they can't exchange for a two bedroom ocean front resort in Hawaii. II works on a fair exchange up to the 59 days then everything is open

Remember that when you want a resort in the 59 day range the size of your unit doesn't matter any longer. If you have chance to do this even owners of one bedroom units can get larger units and even better resorts if they watch the site and move on it when they find something they want!

Darlene did bring up a good point in one of her post that I agree with. For owners that exchange with say II and want to try a resort that is Rci then this would be away to do it.

This year after our planned return trip from Maui we wanted to go to Colorado and try Rams Horn Resort because friends have talked about how nice it is and the area.

After offering Redweek a nicer resort in demand July 4th week we would have still had to pay Redweek aprox $950.00 to exchange down not up and that was not going to happen.

During that same time they had two rental ads on here for same months and listings were asking for $700 and $1000 for the week.

The most I ever found was a owner asking for $1600 and that was to high and just sit.

I might try the exchange someday maybe but not when I have to donate my timeshare and exchange fee's and then cash to Redweek to make the exchange.

I asked but never had a anwser if Redweek exchanges for same amount of points they give owners or do they add more profit into that number also!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.