Jan 23, 2008

I have several weeks banked with RCI. How would I go about making these weeks available? Do I still list them under the resort I bought at even though they can be used anywhere and anytime?

Thanks so much for your help.

Elizabeth G.
Jan 24, 2008

elizabethg125 wrote:
I have several weeks banked with RCI. How would I go about making these weeks available? Do I still list them under the resort I bought at even though they can be used anywhere and anytime?

-------------------------------------

You CAN'T sell RCI Spacebanked weeks.

You can TRANSFER (for a fee paid to RCI, a fee imposed per individual banked week) Spacebanked weeks to another RCI member with their own RCI account.

My suggestion would be to merely mention in your "week for sale" ad the OPTIONAL availability of some RCI spacebanked weeks for transfer with the sale. However, you should think about who will pay the transfer fee (imposed per week) to RCI. RCI raises its' transaction prices all the time, so I don't know the current fee for transfering Spacebanked weeks. I seem to vaguely recall that it was $79 per week (I could very well be mistaken on the actual figure, but there IS a fee to do so).

I'd suggest not REQUIRING the transfer of the RCI Spacebanked weeks with the sale, since many people these days want nothing at all to do with RCI -- period. Spacebanked weeks being "able to be used anywhere and anytime" is a myth and a joke uder current RCI practices. The best weeks are increasingly unavailable for exchange as RCI gets more and more into the direct rental business, so don't overplay the "exchange potential" of your Spacebanked weeks. It's likely a lot less than you think.

You might also consider just holding on to those Spacebanked weeks yourself, keeping them apart from the sale (which you can do if your RCI membership is current) and TRY to use those weeks yourself (good luck with that).

Hope this helps you.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 24, 2008 04:41 AM

Jan 24, 2008

elizabethg125 wrote:

From what I gather she merely has banked weeks with RCI, none of her timeshares are for sale. However, as Ken stated above, it's against RCI rules to sell or rent banked weeks and to sell RCI exchanges.

You CAN confirm a reservation with your banked weeks for friends or relatvies with the only compensation to you being the exchange fee and guest certificate fee ... you cannot make a profit.

Also, there's a fee you can pay RCI to expand your banked weeks' expiration date. I think you can do it in 3, 6 or 12 month increments. You can access RCI to find their fees for this service.

If you don't want to let your weeks expire or confirm weeks for your friends or relatives with little compensation to you, the only other choice you have is to use them yourself.

R P.
Jan 24, 2008

Both response were very helpful. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Elizabeth G.
Jan 29, 2008

Ken1193, you mentioned that people are not wanting to have anything to do with RCI these days. Could you expand on that?

Thanks

Mike C.
Jan 29, 2008

mikec331 states / asks: >>... people are not wanting to have anything to do with RCI these days. Could you expand on that?<< ------------------------------------------------

I'm heading out of town for a few days with no time for a detailed reply, but if you read through assorted threads here on RedWeek (and/or elsewhere) involving RCI, the history and status of the issue is discussed over and over.

The bottom line is that RCI is increasingly renting out deposited weeks directly to the general public, thereby decreasing the availability of many prime weeks for exchange acquisition by RCI members. Accordingly, many people now refuse to deposit their weeks with RCI at all, knowing full well that they may never get an equivalent exchange. The rest is related details.....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 29, 2008 09:03 AM

Jan 29, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
mikec331 states / asks: >>... people are not wanting to have anything to do with RCI these days. Could you expand on that?<< ------------------------------------------------

I'm heading out of town for a few days with no time for a detailed reply, but if you read through assorted threads here on RedWeek (and/or elsewhere) involving RCI, the history and status of the issue is discussed over and over.

The bottom line is that RCI is increasingly renting out deposited weeks directly to the general public, thereby decreasing the availability of many prime weeks for exchange acquisition by RCI members. Accordingly, many people now refuse to deposit their weeks with RCI at all, knowing full well that they may never get an equivalent exchange. The rest is related details.....

=========== I am a member with Interval International and RCI (weeks and Points). I've only been a Points member for a couple years so I'm not too disenchanted yet. My biggest complaint with RCI Points reservations is that it seems I'm being 'nickel and dimed' to death with fees. Mostly due to RCI's deposit first policy, I have no intention of ever depositing my 'weeks' resort unit. I'm not advocating RCI resorts, but if you are thinking of buying an RCI resort, my suggestion is to buy an RCI Points resort. Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 29, 2008 01:02 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.