Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How to rent my Timeshare week

Feb 12, 2008

I have several weeks deposited with Interval international that I would like to rent. Does anyone know how I can do this? Does Redweek.com handle weeks after they are deposited? Thx SD

Betty J.
Feb 12, 2008

voluntarily deleted duplicate post here...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 12, 2008 07:08 PM

Feb 12, 2008

bettyj74 wrote:
I have several weeks deposited with Interval international that I would like to rent. Does anyone know how I can do this? Does Redweek.com handle weeks after they are deposited? Thx SD
------------------------------------------- If you have already deposited your weeks with II, then those weeks (or any weeks which you later get in exchange) are not yours to rent out for profit; clearly stated membership rules of II (and RCI too).

At this point, RedWeek really has no avenue to "handle" those deposited weeks for you at all, since the weeks are now already deposited with another exchange company. If you had initially wanted to rent out your weeks, then with all due respect you should not have deposited them with II (or anyone else) in the first place! Once deposited with II (or RCI), renting out a week for profit which you receive in exchange is simply not an allowed option under II (or RCI) rules, terms and conditions of membership.

Since II is a system which allows you to "search before depositing" in the first place (unlike RCI), I'm puzzled by why you deposited your weeks with II before seeing an acceptable exchange that you wanted, and thereby giving up the option to ever rent those weeks out if renting was your actual objective in the first place. That's certainly your choice and your prerogative to have done so, but I must say that it makes no sense at all to me.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 13, 2008 06:10 AM

Feb 13, 2008

bettyj74 wrote:

Sorry, but the only choice you have is to use your deposits for exchanges for yourself or let them expire unused.

This is one of the many oxymorons I see involving timeshare ownership ..... buying and not using deposited weeks for exchanges and therefore letting them expire .... really sad.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 13, 2008 06:42 AM

Feb 13, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
bettyj74 wrote:
------------------------------------------- If you have already deposited your weeks with II, then those weeks (or any weeks which you later get in exchange) are not yours to rent out for profit; clearly stated membership rules of II (and RCI too).

At this point, RedWeek really has no avenue to "handle" those deposited weeks for you at all, since the weeks are now already deposited with another exchange company. If you had initially wanted to rent out your weeks, then with all due respect you should not have deposited them with II (or anyone else) in the first place! Once deposited with II (or RCI), renting out a week for profit which you receive in exchange is simply not an allowed option under II (or RCI) rules, terms and conditions of membership.

Since II is a system which allows you to "search before depositing" in the first place (unlike RCI), I'm puzzled by why you deposited your weeks with II before seeing an acceptable exchange that you wanted, and thereby giving up the option to ever rent those weeks out if renting was your actual objective in the first place. That's certainly your choice and your prerogative to have done so, but I must say that it makes no sense at all to me.

Interval does NOT allow search without deposit. I just tied up my week with them under those circumstances. The girl that took my call said " that week should be no problem but you need to deposit your week her before we can book it" I deposited my week and they tell me nothing is available. This was a matter of one day and I am looking to book in July 2008. Now I have a week deposited with them and no units available in all of Florida they tell me to match my deposit 2 bedroom red week.

Susan D.
Feb 13, 2008

susand308 states: >> Interval does NOT allow search without deposit.<< ---------------------------------------------- I have personally done so (on line) on numerous occasions in recent years (not in the past 6+ months or so, however). Either you spoke with a VERY misinformed rep, or there has been a procedural / policy change at II in the not too distant past. I guess a third possibility is that the "search before deposit" option can ONLY be exercised on line --- I don't know if that's the case.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 13, 2008 02:23 PM

Feb 13, 2008

susand308 wrote:
Interval does NOT allow search without deposit. I just tied up my week with them under those circumstances. The girl that took my call said " that week should be no problem but you need to deposit your week her before we can book it" I deposited my week and they tell me nothing is available. This was a matter of one day and I am looking to book in July 2008. Now I have a week deposited with them and no units available in all of Florida they tell me to match my deposit 2 bedroom red week.

Susan the lady at II is right that you need to deposit your unit before she can book your exchange for you!

If there is a problem then this doesn't make sense because you then did your deposit but didn't have her book your exchange and now you have nothing. Per your statement you waited one day to try to get your exchange. You should have made deposit and got the exchange at the same time.

Your next statement is wrong because you do not need to deposit to search the resorts!

You can go on-line anytime and do a search!

Your resort and week should already show up in your II acct so when you start a search you will be asked what week you would be using so the filter system shows you resorts and weeks you could exchange for.

If you find something you want then you can make the exchange on-line and your unit of choice will be deposited to II and you will get your resort exchange.

Nothing is final until you pay for the exchange fee so you can not mess this up!

Even if some how you still manage to mess this up you can just go on the phone right then and they will fix it.

You can go on-line everyday and search,this is why the system is setup to use.

If you have trouble working your computer you can call II while on-line and have a agent do all this for you but remember if its a great resort someone else may grab it while your calling.

Sadly it sounds like you talk to II and found your exchange made your deposit and for some reason didn't have her finish booking it.

Fourth of July week is hard to get in many area's. We go up to our resort in Lake Tahoe almost every year on this date for the fireworks show on the lake.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 13, 2008 02:43 PM

Feb 14, 2008

phill12 wrote:
susand308 wrote:

Susan the lady at II is right that you need to deposit your unit before she can book your exchange for you!

If there is a problem then this doesn't make sense because you then did your deposit but didn't have her book your exchange and now you have nothing. Per your statement you waited one day to try to get your exchange. You should have made deposit and got the exchange at the same time.

Your next statement is wrong because you do not need to deposit to search the resorts!

Your resort and week should already show up in your II acct so when you start a search you will be asked what week you would be using so the filter system shows you resorts and weeks you could exchange for.

If you find something you want then you can make the exchange on-line and your unit of choice will be deposited to II and you will get your resort exchange.

Nothing is final until you pay for the exchange fee so you can not mess this up!

Even if some how you still manage to mess this up you can just go on the phone right then and they will fix it.

If you have trouble working your computer you can call II while on-line and have a agent do all this for you but remember if its a great resort someone else may grab it while your calling.

Sadly it sounds like you talk to II and found your exchange made your deposit and for some reason didn't have her finish booking it.

Fourth of July week is hard to get in many area's. We go up to our resort in Lake Tahoe almost every year on this date for the fireworks show on the lake.

No, here is the exact details of what happened. I always banked with Westgate and exchanged through Westgate. They now impose a $500. fee to exchange outside of your season. I checked out Interval which shows all the places available. I called and was told they have many 2 bedrooms in Florida and I can go to Westgate or outside but first I have to renew my membership and became a member again. If I do this will I be able to get July 19 - I'm sure there will be no problem I was told. So I renewed, ask her to tell me what is available and she says you first have to deposit your week, but you can go on line look at all the places. I did and I called Westgate to deposit my week with them and call back and I am told there is nothing available on July 19., in all of Florida let alone Westgate. So they make you deposit your week. My sister in law has RCI and II and RCI lets you search before your exchange, Interval does not. You can look at the places but it doesn't mean they have availability. I have a 2bedroom triple letter unit Red week. This is a huge problem. So no I didn't make my deposit and not finish booking it they lied to me and said it should be no problem instead of the truth which would be simply put " that is a bad time to book, even if you deposit you may not get a place" - problem is I would not have renewed, or deposited my week and they know that.

Like you said "IF YOU FIND SOMETHING YOU WANT" EMPHASIS ON "IF YOU FIND"

Susan D.
Feb 14, 2008

susand308 wrote:
phill12 wrote:
susand308 wrote:

No, here is the exact details of what happened. I always banked with Westgate and exchanged through Westgate. They now impose a $500. fee to exchange outside of your season. I checked out Interval which shows all the places available. I called and was told they have many 2 bedrooms in Florida and I can go to Westgate or outside but first I have to renew my membership and became a member again. If I do this will I be able to get July 19 - I'm sure there will be no problem I was told. So I renewed, ask her to tell me what is available and she says you first have to deposit your week, but you can go on line look at all the places. I did and I called Westgate to deposit my week with them and call back and I am told there is nothing available on July 19., in all of Florida let alone Westgate. So they make you deposit your week. My sister in law has RCI and II and RCI lets you search before your exchange, Interval does not. You can look at the places but it doesn't mean they have availability. I have a 2bedroom triple letter unit Red week. This is a huge problem. So no I didn't make my deposit and not finish booking it they lied to me and said it should be no problem instead of the truth which would be simply put " that is a bad time to book, even if you deposit you may not get a place" - problem is I would not have renewed, or deposited my week and they know that.

Like you said "IF YOU FIND SOMETHING YOU WANT" EMPHASIS ON "IF YOU FIND"

============= Susan, I have two units that I can exchange through Interval International. As Phil said, I can go online, and go through the search process. I put in my destination and dates of travel; then I select which one of my units that I want to use for the exchange. A list of all possibilities will be displayed with an EXCHANGE button provided to continue the process. Now that being said, I offer a theory on what may have happened (and this is based on my own personal experience). After I purchased my second TS, but before I attempted an exchange, I tried to go through the II online search process, but the new unit was not showing up in my list of available units for exchange. When I contacted II, I was told that my new unit wasn’t in their system yet since this was the FIRST time I was doing an exchange with that particular unit. Once I completed the first deposit/exchange, the unit info would be in the II system and would show up in my account for online searches in the future. Since that first exchange, my unit has always been available for searches prior to deposit. With you being a new member, I wonder if your troubles were due to this type of situation. However, in my opinion, when you jointed as a new member, a form detailing your unit could have been sent to II, which would have allowed them to enter your unit info into their system without you having to actually deposit the week first. While I know this won’t get your deposit back, but it might offer an explanation. In any event, try to make the best use of the deposit (I believe you have two years to make an exchange). If you have a high demand week, you should find plenty of nice destinations and resorts. Mike

Mike N.
Feb 14, 2008

phill12 wrote:
susand308 wrote:

II still has the "Request First" option. See page 11 in the latest 2008-2009 II Resort Directory where it states "Want the security of retaining your home resort week until you receive an exchange confirmation? Use Request First if you your're not sure whether you want to visit your home resort or someplace else." There is more information available on pages 10 and 11 about this feature but II, unlike RCI, still has the request first option.

Carvan A.
Feb 14, 2008

carvana wrote:
II still has the "Request First" option. See page 11 in the latest 2008-2009 II Resort Directory where it states "Want the security of retaining your home resort week until you receive an exchange confirmation? Use Request First if you your're not sure whether you want to visit your home resort or someplace else." There is more information available on pages 10 and 11 about this feature but II, unlike RCI, still has the request first option.

I agree with Mike that in your case as a new member to II might have caused these problems or you just talk to a agent that doesn't know what she is doing.

I like II and have talk to different agents in one day and had total different answers to my questions.

I don't know how long ago this deposit happened but if it hasn't been to long call II and ask for a supervisor and explain what happen and see if you can get your unit back. If not then the supervisor will pull up the screen and maybe come up with a exchange you want.

We have always gone the route of Request First and this is one of top reasons for dealing with II.

This is why I have stated for many years to buy a timeshare where you love going and take a week every year you can go to if not traded or rented out.

We either get one of our three or four choices or we go to Lake Tahoe that year,we just don't care and II understands this and they seem to work hard for us when we do offer a exchange.

PHIL

Phil L.
Feb 15, 2008

That is the problem, the week needs to be there to see if there is an exchange. So now I can't book it and I can't rent it. I don't know if waiting will make something available. If I search Florida for the week I want I get nothing available. I just don't understand. The big selling point was "red week, 2 bedroom go anywhere - anytime. Is it because I'm not going my week. I feel like I'm being ripped off first by Westgate and second by Interval because I can't use my week. But I have to say my sister in law has a couple time shares and uses Interval and RCI and she couldn't search availabilty for me because she had already exchanged her week, and he next one won't deposit for some time ?? so not sure how you say you can check, prior to depositing.

Susan D.
Feb 15, 2008

Susan I understand because most of us owners went through this the first time we bought.

From your statement it sounds like you bought from the resort because of the statement you can trade anywhere anytime is total bull!

You need to learn the system and using II is very easy, if I can do it anyone can use it.

When you use the exchange II has a filter so you will see what resorts your able to trade into. You can do many things on-line with II but remember that you can always phone in while on the computer and talk to the agents and get the exchange you want in most cases.

Also you need to start making your plans ahead of time like a year for top resorts.

I hope after you made your deposit you did go back and put in your exchange request for area and dates and resorts you would like.

If you just go on everyday and do a search there's not much chance of finding the week you want if its in a top area. When one comes available it goes to the next person that has a request in so you need to be on it for any chance.

This late you may have to just keep searching flex listings and hope.

We listed one of our Ridge Tahoe (NOV 2008) units last June for May 2008 in Maui and turn down some offered because we did Request First and told them if they didn't get one of our three resorts and weeks we would pull our unit back and use it. Within two days we had our second choice for May 23-30 2008.

When you go on-line and see all the resorts remember you may not be able to trade into some of those resorts because of the filters. II trades on a like for like unit.

On main list you see everything thats in the book but when you go to exchange you will be asked which unit in your acct you would be trading and then you probably will see much less in choices for you.

I will say it again, call and ask for a supervisor and explain what your going through and many times they will work with you to fine something that the agents don't do.

GOOD LUCK! PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 19, 2008 11:12 AM

Feb 22, 2008

When I can't use my week, I just trade to somewhere close to my house, get a Friday night check in and go from Fri-Mon and use as much of the week as I can. So in the future you may want to do this that way you won't let your week go unused.

Lanita P.
Feb 23, 2008

Just by way of clarification. I am a Marriott owner who used II to trade into a better season at my home TS. This is now confirmed and cert issued etc. It seems from the above I am not allowed to rent this unit.Correct ? Can I "transfer "it to a friend ?

Garry C.
Feb 23, 2008

garrycullen wrote:
Just by way of clarification. I am a Marriott owner who used II to trade into a better season at my home TS. This is now confirmed and cert issued etc. It seems from the above I am not allowed to rent this unit.Correct ? Can I "transfer "it to a friend ?

With RCI you can give or gift an exchange to friends and/or family with the only reimbursement to you being the exchange fee and guest certificate fee.

With II, you can purchase a guest certficate for friends and/or family for an exchange you've made, but you are not allowed to be reimbursed for any fees. The only reason for a guest certificate is for the name change on the confirmation.

Both RCI and II strictly prohibit rentals of exchanges. There have been incidents where RCI and II members were banished their membership for renting exchanges. IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 23, 2008 05:59 AM

Feb 28, 2008

jayjay wrote:
garrycullen wrote:

With RCI you can give or gift an exchange to friends and/or family with the only reimbursement to you being the exchange fee and guest certificate fee.

With II, you can purchase a guest certficate for friends and/or family for an exchange you've made, but you are not allowed to be reimbursed for any fees. The only reason for a guest certificate is for the name change on the confirmation.

Both RCI and II strictly prohibit rentals of exchanges. There have been incidents where RCI and II members were banished their membership for renting exchanges. IMHO, it's just not worth the risk.

What exactly qualifies for an exchange? and can you rent "floater weeks". I was told to bank it first but if I do that can I still rent it? Thanks for the input.

Heather C.
Feb 28, 2008

heatherc125 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
garrycullen wrote:

What exactly qualifies for an exchange? and can you rent "floater weeks". I was told to bank it first but if I do that can I still rent it? Thanks for the input.

============ Any TS unit you own qualifies for exchange, subject to the rules of the exchange company you use. However, if you obtain a unit through an RCI or II exchange you CANNOT rent it to another party. At this time RedWeek allows a person to rent out an exchange.

You are allowed to advertise and rent "floating weeks". When a potential renter inquires about a specific week, you'll need to contact the resort to make sure that week is still available, and then reserve the week to complete the transaction. I always reserve a high demand week and switch if necessary (check your resort to see if they allow you to switch weeks). Good Luck

Mike N.
Feb 28, 2008

heatherc125 wrote:

An exchange is when you have deposited your week with an exchange company and then confirmed an exchange or trade. Rentals of exchanges are not allowed with II, RCI and the independent exchange companies, however if you deposit your week with Redweek, they allow rentals of exchanges.

You own a floating week via the resort so you can rent out your floating week as long as it hasn't been deposited with an exchange company. In this case an exchange company hasn't been involved in any shape, form or fashion.

What many people do with their floating week is book a highly demanded week via the resort, such as a holday week, then rent it out. Some owning floating weeks choose to advertise it as weeks 1-52 and if someone is interested in a certain week, the owner then contacts the resort to see if that week is available.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 28, 2008 06:00 AM

Feb 28, 2008

jayjay wrote:
heatherc125 wrote:

An exchange is when you have deposited your week with an exchange company and then confirmed an exchange or trade.

You own a floating week via the resort so you can rent out your floating week as long as it hasn't been deposited with an exchange company. In this case an exchange company hasn't been involved in any shape, form or fashion.

What many people do with their floating week is book a highly demanded week via the resort, such as a holday week, then rent it out. Some owning floating weeks choose to advertise it as weeks 1-52 and if someone is interested in a certain week, the owner then contacts the resort to see if that week is available.

========== Well said jayjay.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Feb 28, 2008 06:00 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.