Timeshare Exchanges

Deposit for future exchange - does it matter what week?

Mar 08, 2009

I am a member of Interval International, and want to deposit a week, for a future exchange. Does it matter what week I make the reservation for when I deposit? I own in Las Vegas, and of course some weeks are more in demand than others. Does anyone know if I should just pick any old week, or if by selecting a week in high demand (e.g., one that might include New Year's Day, or the Superbowl) would improve my exchange odds?

Harold G.
Mar 08, 2009

Not sure how II really decides but we alway take July 4th week and have labor day 2010 on our second unit.

When we have traded we always get one of our three choices. Every year we are offered a AC if we will make deposit. Never get one because as stated many times we bought in Lake Tahoe where we love going and love our resort.

When we plan a exchange we only use Request First and let II know if we don't get one of our choices we will take our unit back. Everytime we have done this we have what we asked for by II and this is main reason we have been with II for years.

For owners that have resort they want to just exchange that year I would recommend getting best week possible.

Holiday weeks or big skiing weeks best depending on where your resort is at.

Good Luck! PHILL12

Phil L.
Mar 08, 2009

What is AC?

Anita D.
Mar 08, 2009

anitad10 wrote:
What is AC?

If you exchange with II they will issue a AC to someone that makes a deposit of a resort and week that is in demand by other members.

AC is a Accommodation Certificate good for one week at discount cost. Prices normally run about $199 studio, $249 one bedroom and $299 for a two bedroom.

These are nice for a second vacation if you can go anytime because there are resorts blacked out and most prime weeks also blacked out.

If you wait for Flexchange of 59 days up to 24 hours before trip you can get most resorts and sizes that happen to still be available at that time.

The AC offers change for many resorts and times so your not guaranteed to get a Certificate. You can go to your account on II and check if they have offers for your resort and size and see what weeks wanted. Also just because you see your week is listed remember as soon as they get enough weeks that offer closes on your resort.

You will have one year from time of issue and this will be about same as your deposit date. Many owners grab these then don't use them each year so its not worth it if your not planning on the use.

Like I stated we have been offered one for our unit and July 4th week the last four years and have not done this because we do Request First so we don't lose our week if II didn't give us our choice of exchange.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

PHILL12

Phil L.
Mar 09, 2009

Phil, thanks for your response. Do you do a straight exchange, in other words when you deposit your week, do you get your exchange unit in return at that time?

What I have been doing is depositing, and the waiting (sometimes for quite awhile) for another desireable unit in a place and time that we like. This is why I wondered whether it matters which week I deposit or not, because it seems as if it should not.

Harold G.
Mar 09, 2009

harold187 wrote:
Phil, thanks for your response. Do you do a straight exchange, in other words when you deposit your week, do you get your exchange unit in return at that time?

What I have been doing is depositing, and the waiting (sometimes for quite awhile) for another desireable unit in a place and time that we like. This is why I wondered whether it matters which week I deposit or not, because it seems as if it should not.

We have not made a deposit to II in years and then it was only for our second timeshare that we didn't use. We only use Request First so time not important because we get one of our choices or we keep our timeshare and use it that year. We also get the money returned to us from II.

I have recommended to families for years to buy their timeshare at a resort they love going to every year and spending more money for this over saving money and buying something just to trade. Remember if you enjoy your resort then Request First great option.

You need to understand II works on a fair trade so depending on what resort and week you deposit does make a difference in many cases. Once you hit the 59 days then forget everything because you can get anything available at that moment. Also need to understand that if you are on the list for a very top resort and week there might be fifty people ahead of you on this list so chances not good.

This is why I recommend calling II and telling them what week you have and would they check for a exchange then and if they have it make the exchange. Once your on the list not sure how much power left for your great week over a lower week.

Last year we broke up our Tower unit at the Ridge Tahoe and late in May made a exchange and had a two bedroom unit for our lock-off (studio) and that wasn't a fair trade and we had the best of that deal.

What I do is check on-line resorts and weeks I want and then call II for information on available units.With our other timeshare I did this and was told nothing showing and told the agent thanks and I would call back few months and check. Couple times because they wanted that week they would go check again and twice I was handed the week on the spot,funny how they found it second time when seeing I wasn't going to just deposit the week.This is where holiday,ski or summer weeks are important.

Every year we have fourth of July week off so it doesn't matter if we exchanged or not because we know we have our unit. We never put ourselves at the mercy of II for that week.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Mar 09, 2009 01:49 PM

Apr 03, 2009

Redweek is purely a points situation. Your can send your week into RW for a complimentary valuation to give you an idea of what you can get for it. Forget comparisons with II or RCI. I'm an II member too. My Hawaii timeshare drives me nuts; it's 2bd but NOT lockoff so with II all it gets me is the best one single week anywhere (for the most part - with few exceptions). With RW, I can pick and choose, but fewer listings are available - at least now. Lucky for me points are good for 3 yrs. I might have deposited with II again to get an Accommodation Cert. like Phill12 mentioned, but I have a floating week and II didn't need the week I was able to reserve. So I decided to take the plunge with RW.

Here's hoping their search engine for available exchanges gets a WHOLE lot better!

jk105

JoyK
Apr 03, 2009

jk105 wrote:
Redweek is purely a points situation. Your can send your week into RW for a complimentary valuation to give you an idea of what you can get for it.

Yes Redweek is purely a points system, but it still matters what week is deposited. For example, Redweek will (or should) give you more points for a high demand week vs an off-peak week. The points wil probably drop considerably as you approach the 60 day cut-off. To encourage deposits, RedWeek should give some bonus points is a unit is deposited early.

Mike N.
Apr 20, 2009

I've had many ACs from II but I've never been able to use any of them due to the restrictions on dates and the Flexichange exchanges are never available when and where I need them.

That apart, I've never been disappointed with the exchanges I've made through II, only their rather high exchange fees. From the point of view of my own family, and bearing in mind the modest maintenance fees I pay, I reckon that I've come out ahead on the deal. Redweek and DAE are rather less expensive but do not seem to have access to the very top resorts, at least, not during the school holidays.

One thing I have noticed is that DAE has become the first and only company to get into the Hapimag resorts that hitherto have never permitted outside exchanges. Redweek is supposed to be sharing DAE inventory but I haven't seen any of the (quite numerous) Hapimag weeks that DAE is listing at present.

David D.
Apr 21, 2009

davidd320 wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that DAE has become the first and only company to get into the Hapimag resorts that hitherto have never permitted outside exchanges. Redweek is supposed to be sharing DAE inventory but I haven't seen any of the (quite numerous) Hapimag weeks that DAE is listing at present.
Redweek staff...please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is RedWeek uses DAE to manage the timeshare deposits and exchanges. All inventory comes directly from owners and not from DAE. If Hapimag does not allow deposits to Redweek, then you will not see any listed.

If RedWeek shares inventory with DAE, then it is news to me and probably to a lot of other members.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Apr 21, 2009 06:42 AM

Apr 21, 2009

Mike, I can usually cross-reference the inventories. Indeed, Redweek's e-mail new postings alerts are proving very useful, regardless of whether I intend to exchange through RW or DAE. Interestingly, DAE now lists new inventory for Gold Members only during the first week of availability, whilst RW members appear to have immediate access. I can, however, only speak about European availability, as I have no interest in inter-continental exchanges.

David D.
Apr 22, 2009

mike1536 wrote:
davidd320 wrote:
Redweek staff...please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is RedWeek uses DAE to manage the timeshare deposits and exchanges. All inventory comes directly from owners and not from DAE. If Hapimag does not allow deposits to Redweek, then you will not see any listed.

If RedWeek shares inventory with DAE, then it is news to me and probably to a lot of other members.

RedWeek.com doesn't share inventory with DAE or vice versa. DAE does the clean and press and a few other areas of the exchange transaction. I'm sorry but I don't know what the situation is with Hapimag.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Apr 29, 2009

marty8084 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
davidd320 wrote:

RedWeek.com doesn't share inventory with DAE or vice versa. DAE does the clean and press and a few other areas of the exchange transaction. I'm sorry but I don't know what the situation is with Hapimag.

Thanks, Marty

Marty, could you clarify your answer above a little bit. Every week shown in my e-mailed Redweek New Postings alert this morning (11 exchanges in Scotland and Spain) is shown on DAE Europe's availability listing (resort/entry date/unit size) as well. This happens too frequently (virtually every day) to be purely coincidental.

I belong to both Redweek and DAE (because Redweek gives me excellent points for one of my weeks and DAE gives me two weeks of exchange credits for another week that I own, whilst the Redweek points valuation for it is pathetic) so I cross-check a lot.

David D.

Last edited by davidd320 on Apr 29, 2009 04:38 AM

Apr 29, 2009

davidd320 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
davidd320 wrote:

HI David,

I apologize, I knew we shared inventory when we first launched our exchange program but wasn't aware that we still do so. Essentially, if we have a week that one of DAE's members is requesting, they ask us if they can have it, and some financial arrangement is made on the back-end. Alternately, they feed their inventory into RedWeek Exchange.

I do apologize for the confusion.

Thanks, Marty

Thanks, Marty

Marty, could you clarify your answer above a little bit. Every week shown in my e-mailed Redweek New Postings alert this morning (11 exchanges in Scotland and Spain) is shown on DAE Europe's availability listing (resort/entry date/unit size) as well. This happens too frequently (virtually every day) to be purely coincidental.

I belong to both Redweek and DAE (because Redweek gives me excellent points for one of my weeks and DAE gives me two weeks of exchange credits for another week that I own, whilst the Redweek points valuation for it is pathetic) so I cross-check a lot.

Marty F
Apr 30, 2009

marty8084 wrote:
HI David,

I apologize, I knew we shared inventory when we first launched our exchange program but wasn't aware that we still do so. Essentially, if we have a week that one of DAE's members is requesting, they ask us if they can have it, and some financial arrangement is made on the back-end. Alternately, they feed their inventory into RedWeek Exchange.

I do apologize for the confusion.

Thanks, Marty

Marty, I hope the Redweek members get first crack at Redweek inventory before it is given to DAE. I would hate to know I deposited my week hoping for a certain exchange, only to find out you sold it to DAE. Maybe instead of a "financial arrangement", DAE should give Redweek a week of similar value.

Mike

Mike N.
Jun 11, 2015

All Inclusive

Lomas E.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.