Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Trying to get rid of the Grandview Las Vegas

Jul 23, 2021

Foreclose and take a hit on your credit or continue paying and learn how to use it, paying any exit team will just cost you more money and you will still owe the mortgage

Ask in Timeshare Users Group forums

C.P.
Aug 13, 2021

I am in the same position. May i ask are you in the USA or overseas? I have heard if they foreclose then you are actually out - which personally I want to happen to mine! I stopped paying maintenance fee's 2 years ago and only now have been contacted by collections. only thing is.. I live in Australia! So i don't believe my credit will be affected (different countries). But I also feel if I ever want to go back on holidays they may be waiting for me the day I get off the plane. Ridiculous but I'm just hoping they realise they wont get paid and it will cost them more to continuously chase me for payment.

I was young and dumb with my bf at the beginning of an around the world trip and got sucked in for free show tickets! 13 years later I'm still paying for this **** and decided it was enough. I have contacted Grandview many times over the years and they told me the same thing - we don't take them back. It is hard to believe this. How do we find out how long we have this for? Is it forever? Is there a clause in the contract as thick as **** somewhere?

You know what, when signing the contract i cried, i should have listened to my gut, the representative selling to us even said when i cried 'it's up to you, it is a great investment but you know what, I've reached my quota'. How did i not just sense he was doing wrong and get up and leave right there and then? He went and got a more senior person to come over and take the cost down by 80%, the more he went down the more of a better deal you thought you were getting. STUPID. Timeshares is honestly hell.

stefanieb66 wrote:
We have a timeshare that we signed up for back in 2019. We have not been able to use it due to the pandemic and our jobs. We realized it was a bad choice when we got home. We talked to a timeshare termination place that we recently found out went out of business and now we received a letter saying it is going to be foreclosed on. I am not sure what we should do because we don't want the timeshare since we can't afford it. I tried calling Grand view and got the response that they don't take the deeds back. Just looking for some guidance.

C B.
Aug 15, 2021

Any luck selling yet?

C B.
Oct 30, 2021

cb357 wrote:
I am in the same position. May i ask are you in the USA or overseas? I have heard if they foreclose then you are actually out - which personally I want to happen to mine! I stopped paying maintenance fee's 2 years ago and only now have been contacted by collections. only thing is.. I live in Australia! So i don't believe my credit will be affected (different countries). But I also feel if I ever want to go back on holidays they may be waiting for me the day I get off the plane. Ridiculous but I'm just hoping they realise they wont get paid and it will cost them more to continuously chase me for payment.

I was young and dumb with my bf at the beginning of an around the world trip and got sucked in for free show tickets! 13 years later I'm still paying for this **** and decided it was enough. I have contacted Grandview many times over the years and they told me the same thing - we don't take them back. It is hard to believe this. How do we find out how long we have this for? Is it forever? Is there a clause in the contract as thick as **** somewhere?

You know what, when signing the contract i cried, i should have listened to my gut, the representative selling to us even said when i cried 'it's up to you, it is a great investment but you know what, I've reached my quota'. How did i not just sense he was doing wrong and get up and leave right there and then? He went and got a more senior person to come over and take the cost down by 80%, the more he went down the more of a better deal you thought you were getting. STUPID. Timeshares is honestly hell.

stefanieb66 wrote:
We have a timeshare that we signed up for back in 2019. We have not been able to use it due to the pandemic and our jobs. We realized it was a bad choice when we got home. We talked to a timeshare termination place that we recently found out went out of business and now we received a letter saying it is going to be foreclosed on. I am not sure what we should do because we don't want the timeshare since we can't afford it. I tried calling Grand view and got the response that they don't take the deeds back. Just looking for some guidance.

You and I had the same exact experience except my ex left me with all the maintenance fees and everything else. It took them 2 years to come after you for the mortgage fees? I haven't paid mine for roughly 2 years, did they Include interest and late fees when they came after you? Have you paid anything to them up until this day? I'm hoping that my timeshare will go into foreclosure but I live in the US so I'm concerned about the consequences of not paying when they send me to collections.

Gabrielle K.
Oct 30, 2021

gabriellek15 wrote:
I haven't paid mine for roughly 2 years, did they Include interest and late fees when they came after you? Have you paid anything to them up until this day? I'm hoping that my timeshare will go into foreclosure but I live in the US so I'm concerned about the consequences of not paying when they send me to collections.

Foreclosure only for non payment of timeshare maintenance fees is inevitable at some point, often after 1-3 years of non-payment, but foreclosure only for failure to pay maintenance fees is not a particularly big deal, in and of itself. If there is no unpaid loan balance involved, developers usually won't even bother going any further than foreclosure if / after collection efforts fail.

Maintenance fees are one thing, but the bigger and more problematic issue is defaulting on a loan, which will almost certainly result in a negative credit report, which will then remain a matter of record for 7 years. Historically, it was rare for any developer to ever go any further than that. However, in the last year or so there have been (unverified) reports of people claiming that legal action was initiated against them for loan default, reportedly resulting in garnishment of wages, etc. for non-payment of a loan. Such reports (some of them very recent) can be easily found right here in these RedWeek forums, but there is no way to confirm the veracity of any such reports, since forum posters are unidentified and their claims cannot actually be verified.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 30, 2021 05:18 PM

Dec 02, 2021

I’m sure you’ve heard every song and dance imaginable, but here’s mine. Canadian citizens not able to travel to the US and paying the fees on a seniors budget is getting a bit Much. There is no outstanding loan just maintenance fees. Can I just refuse to pay? What are the consequences for a Canadian citizen? We own a condo unit in Florida that we rent out but will undoubtedly be selling in the next few years. Would non payment of these fees interfere or complicate the sale of our condo? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Arlene K.
Dec 02, 2021

arlenek72 wrote:
There is no outstanding loan just maintenance fees. Can I just refuse to pay? What are the consequences for a Canadian citizen? We own a condo unit in Florida that we rent out but will undoubtedly be selling in the next few years. Would non payment of these fees interfere or complicate the sale of our condo?

Whether you are behind on your loan/mortgage or maintenance fees, you will not be able to rent out, use, or sell your unit. No one will want to take over ownership of your unit with money owing on it.

As for the consequences for a Canadian citizen, the only one I can think of is that you will face a bunch of collection calls and letters. They're annoying but will eventually go away. Chances are very slim that they will legally come after you seeing that you are in another country.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.