Report Abuse

Re: Recent visits

fredig - I put this list together with the help from A LOT of Mayan Riviera seasoned travelers. We were staying in Tulum, so these are restaurants mostly down that way. For the PDC area, I remember Yaxche (a MUST apparently) and La Floresta (on 307) being the big votes. Restaurants Top 10: -Cueva del Pescador (Akumal) -Turtle Bay Cafe (Akumal) -Zamas (Tulum) -Lucy's Tacos (Akumal) -Posada Margherita (Tulum) -Don Cafetos (Tulum Beach) -La Vita e Bella (Tulum) -Charlie's (Tulum) -Lol Ha (Akumal) -Leo's Pizza (Chemuyil) -La Buena Vida -La Nave (Tulum) We tried at least half of these. I remember liking Don Cafetos the best. (We actually went to the Don Cafetos Pueblo i/of the D.C. on the beach.) As far as things to do and see, there's the "usual" stuff like Tulum, Xel Ha, Xcaret, etc. This last time we were down there we went to Coba for the first time. I really enjoyed that (rent the bikes!). We also went to a cool cenote out by Coba (I still prefer ocean-snorkeling, though). I have not stayed at the Royal Haciendas, yet (we will be there in a couple of weeks), but if we don't rent a car, then we usually enjoy catching a ride from a "colectivo" on 307 (the highway). From what I've read the R.Haciendas is pretty far in from 307, so walking out to 307 might not be a feasible option. But maybe they have a shuttle that goes from the resort to 307? You just stand on the side of 307 that corresponds with the direction you would like to go...and when a bus or passenger van or whatever comes by you hold your hand out like you're wanting a taxi. If they have room/want to pick up passengers, then they'll stop. I think a regular "city-type" bus is about $1.00 for fare; some of the passenger vans might charge a little more and so you just need to tell the driver where you'd like to go and ask how much before you get on. I like using the colectivos as it helps immerse me in the culture a little more than just soaking up sun in a resort. :) For Royal Resorts/The Royal Haciendas airport transfers--from what I've read Thomas More is the best option. I think I read it's $34 round trip/person for a shared van. That's a good price. Hope you have a great time!