Report Abuse

Class Action Against Diamond Resorts? Wanted good attorney

Michelle, We owned a one bedroom every year with ILX. We were awarded 4200 Diamond points in 2012 for the ILX week when the company acquired ILX, after purchasing 2500 Diamond points. The form we signed said the average number of points to stay one week at Diamond was 5500 points so we purchased 2500 points. Not happy with availability we purchased an additional 3500 points in the same year (2012). Although we have three contracts, we use the 10,200 points as if they are all the same. Our maintenance fees were $2,200 in 2015. My only complaint with Diamond is that they have barriers in place restricting the use of secondary points to the extent licensed timeshare brokers will not buy or sell them. As a former licensed stockbroker, we would have never bought points knowing they could not be sold through a licensed broker. It did not help to read the contract because Diamond's contract said you can sell points. I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. They said to use the mortgage option even if there is no mortgage outstanding. I have also filed a complaint with the Arizona AG since this is where we bought the points. It's very important to file a complaint with the CFPB because they are currently investigating Westgate timeshare. I had to file the complaint orally with the intake person manually typing it. She could not get it to file either, but called me back and we started over generating a new case number. I know of a good timeshare attorney in Nevada and another in Florida but I don't know if this site allows solicitation even as a referral. It's best to go through the AG and CFPB first because you may get help without the expense of an attorney. If Diamond would allow sales through licensed timeshare brokers, I would not be spending my golden years as a timeshare advocate. It's not what I had in mind. As the FOX Property Man segment aired this weekend about timeshare recommends, do not go to listing agents or transfer agents if you want out. Unfortunately, you cannot go to licensed timeshare brokers with Diamond. Licensed timeshare brokers will sell all or most of Diamond's competitor's points. I would like to see something like Shell Vacation. They offer a deed back program called "Shell Take Back" and if you want to sell your Shell they provide the phone number of a licensed broker they recommend. If I get our money back from Diamond, we will purchase a vacation plan through a company that offer this option.