Car Rental Beware

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Car Rental Beware (by Bryan W.):

nancyr79 wrote:
To: bryanw21

Your comments are extremely helpful. I am the person that posted a few days ago about always taking the insurance. When you say always use the Rental Car Company Corporate office to arrange for car rental, do you mean reserving the car through their online website--or doing something else?

Yes, I am referring to using the corporate booking service rather than showing up at the counter after arriving in Cancun. Even though you sign the papers in Mexico, you can argue that you made the reservation in the U.S. with a U.S. company, so U.S. laws will apply (especially if you reserved with a U.S. credit card). This is one step to eliminate the defense from the rental company that your contract was made outside of the U.S. by a "franchisee who we cannot control"

You can also ask for the exact terms and conditions for the non-US based rental ahead of time. This all goes toward proving that the contract was entered in the U.S. under U.S. law, not mexican Law.

I've actually disputed some charges (not a car rental deal) where the contract claimed that prior to leaving Mexico, all obligations will be settled (this was a damage to equipment claim). We returned and had a charge show up in the bill. If the contract wasn't entered into in the US prior to my arrival, we would have had more of a fight.

As a matter of fact, I am now looking for a rental for Cancun this coming May. I will only go through the corporate office to book the rental.

I've never had any problems, but try to plan for the worst.