Buying Timeshare?

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Buying Timeshare? (by Lance C.):

Well first of all, you were very smart not to buy from one of those sales presentations. Secondly, you were also very smart to look at resale and do some research before jumping at any purchasing opportunities.

That being said, what I would do is check reputable resale site (here on RedWeek, Timeshare Users Group, E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, etc.) and check what the going rate for rentals is. Then compare the going rate for rentals to what the maintenance fees are.

If you see that you can rent for about the maintenance fees, or even less than the maintenance fees, then I would just rent. However, if it's the opposite and "it is a place we would probably visit on a regular basis although not every year, utilising the exchange", then buying may make more sense for you.

Also consider the accompanying travel expenses and rigors before buying. For instance, you say you are from Australia. Consider the 10-hr. flight each way as well as the cost. Is that something you think you could handle most years? What about the cost of fuel in Hawaii, car rental, parking, groceries and restaurants, activities?

A good rule of thumb before buying a timeshare (and a lifelong commitment to ever-increasing maintenance fees) is to wait about six months. Ask questions (like you're doing now) and do research. Six months down the road, there will still be "deals" on buying timeshares like there are now.