Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Weaselly Westgate... (by KC):

jessicaw272 wrote:
My boyfriend and I went on a tour of the Westgate Resort in Williamsburg a few years ago. Then we were pressured into buying at the resort, which regrettably we did. We are looking to get out of it. Anyone have any ideas? We haven’t used it at all. We just make payments and pay the maintenance fees. I really do not want to keep paying for something I do not use. Please any suggestions are welcomed.

Don't shoot the messenger, but what you purchased has no value in the resale market, regardless of purchase price.You cannot sell it (or even give it away for free) with a loan balance still remaining anyhow. No one is interested in taking over someone else's debt --- and the loan is almost certainly not "transferable" anyhow.

Lack of resale value is largely due to reservation constraints that Westgate imposes on all their ownerships which were acquired in the resale market. In essence, Westgate has deliberately contrived a way to render resale purchases worthless except for actual USE. Westgate ownerships are virtually impossible to sell (or even give away for free) in the resale market. Westgate is the slimiest and most deceitful timeshare company in the USA (in my personal opinion), although their properties are all certainly nice enough.

*IF* you have NO unpaid loan balance, Westgate will accept a "deedback" if you contact them and formally request one. This is not a "buyback"; they will not actually PAY anything. On the contrary, they CHARGE a processing fee (recently reported to be $900.00) to prepare and process a quitclaim deed and to accept return of a fully paid off ownership. All maintenance fees must also be up to date to be eligible for "deedback" acceptance.

If there is any unpaid loan balance, all bets are off. All you can do in that case is either pay off the loan and THEN deed it back (costing another $900 to do so) --- or make the decision to simply pay NOTHING further and default on the loan, understanding and accepting that foreclosure will occur at some point and understanding and accepting that negative credit report consequences will inevitably follow after defaulting on the loan. It's a personal choice and decision whether to pay off a loan for something that is literally worthless except for its' actual use and enjoyment. If it's not being used or enjoyed at all now, that decision and choice would certainly seem to be much easier to make.

This unwelcome input stinks; I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the information above is nonetheless entirely truthful and completely accurate.

Please do NOT fall for the empty promises and bogus claims of ANY upfront fee "timeshare exit / release / escape / rescue" operation. There are plenty of these parasites around, but there is NOTHING they can do --- except take your money. They cannot make a loan or a legally binding, voluntarily executed contractual obligation just magically "disappear"; NO ONE has any such magical powers. Such parasites prey upon people who find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place with now-unwanted timeshare obligations, vulnerable and feeling helpless. These parasitic "exit" operations are very active and aggressive during this time of year, when many maintenance fee bills for next year have already been issued and may be delinquent if not paid by 01 March. At least one of these upfront fee "exit" parasites even advertises extensively on radio. If you are ultimately going to face foreclosure anyhow, there is certainly no point in paying some useless, parasite "exit" operation thousands of dollars for them to ultimately accomplish NOTHING, then just sit by passively and watch as foreclosure inevitably occurs anyhow.

Don't let frustration cloud your judgement. There are NO magic beans and there are NO secret "exit" processes. Stay away from **ALL** upfront fee "exit" parasites. The only "exit" actually occurring would be your money "exiting" your bank account, never to return. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.