Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Get out of Westgate Resorts (by KC):

barbs183 wrote:
I attempted contacting the Legacy Program after my ex and I split. He didn't want the timeshare and I have since become unable to afford it, not to mention disgusted with the idea of paying for something I will never get to use. The lady I spoke to told me I should pay to get the account current and then remove my name from the deed. I thought that was about the lowest form of advice I have ever received.

I agree that the "advice" you got from Westgate was (not surprisingly) both remarkably poor and badly uninformed. For starters, if there are two names on the deed now, in order to make any changes thereto the cooperation, consent (and notarized signatures) of both of the parties on the current deed would be legally required as grantors on a new deed. If people could just unilaterally "remove" their name from a deed at their whim, it would be done all the time. It may sound good, but it just simply ain't so.

It's unfortunate that resolving this timeshare ownership was apparently overlooked in the course of your divorce proceedings. The good news however is that even if your ex "doesn't want" the timeshare, if his name is on the current deed then he remains a co-owner whether he likes it or not. If you decide to simply stop paying anything further and allow foreclosure to occur, any other co-owner will share equally in the consequences of default and / or foreclosure.

Stopping any further payments is something to at least consider. You may want to first consult legal counsel; the lawyers may well be the ones who failed to adequately address and resolve this matter in the first place during the divorce.

Even if fully paid off and current, a Westgate ownership is still essentially worthless in the resale market. Accordingly, I would think long and hard before throwing any more money into it if you are never going to use this "product". Good luck.