Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

My timeshare resort is willing to let me deed back my unit

Jul 27, 2017

I am new to this site, just want to make sure I am not making a mistake. We own a deeded timeshare at Moosehead Cottage Resort in Greenville, Me. We have owned it for 17 yrs. We never stayed at the Greenville resort but we did trade many times for Vacation. Well we are tired of the maintenance fees and the rules through interval to trade....and so on. Our week is a red week and is only for odd years so at least we are not paying the mInt fees yearly. Well I called and asked the staff what options were available to get rid of the timeshare. They told me to call their attorney, which I did and apparently they aware willing to except the unit back. Of course it has long been paid for and my fee to attorney is 300.00. Does this sound good? I am not willing to bother trying to sell. I know it is futile.

Kathleen L.
Jul 27, 2017

kathleenl256 wrote:
I am new to this site, just want to make sure I am not making a mistake. We own a deeded timeshare at Moosehead Cottage Resort in Greenville, Me. We have owned it for 17 yrs. We never stayed at the Greenville resort but we did trade many times for Vacation. Well we are tired of the maintenance fees and the rules through interval to trade....and so on. Our week is a red week and is only for odd years so at least we are not paying the mInt fees yearly. Well I called and asked the staff what options were available to get rid of the timeshare. They told me to call their attorney, which I did and apparently they aware willing to except the unit back. Of course it has long been paid for and my fee to attorney is 300.00. Does this sound good? I am not willing to bother trying to sell. I know it is futile.

I do not know your resort or anything about it, but if they will accept a "deedback" and require only $300 to process and record a new deed back to the HOA , you should not hesitate for one split second. DO IT! Most resorts will not accept deedbacks AT ALL, so you are truly fortunate to have this relatively rare opportunity made available to you.

Presumably the attorney provided you with specific details of the process, likely that a "quit claim" deed will be sent to you for notarized signature(s) and return to the HOA (via the attorney) for official recording. It won't happen by magic and cannot be done by phone --- there is a process to lawfully effect the ownership change. Stay on top of this and keep the process moving along before someone there changes their mind. You're very lucky.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 28, 2017 03:42 AM

Jul 27, 2017

I agree with Ken I would jump at the opportunity to only pay $ 300 . It is also a safe way to give it back rather that deal with scam companies wanting thousands of dollars to do the work for you . Just make sure you are dealing directly through the timeshare attorneys .

Don P.
Jul 28, 2017

Thank you for your replies. I received the paperwork from the resort attorney today. 2 W-9 form, Maine Reale estate transfer tax declaration form and a copy of the deed Granting the resort association the property. Also a letter from the Attorney requesting a check for $300 to cover research, drafting of the Deed and the filing, fee and transfer tax.

It looks good to me.

Kathleen L.
Jul 31, 2017

Just wanted to add that the timeshare manager is granting us a week at the Moosehead Cottage Resort because I paid my "last" maintenace fee. I did not ask they just offered it to me. I feel so blessed .

Kathleen L.
Dec 20, 2023

I have a timeshare at Moosehead Resort Cottage, We called by the resort & we're not using in 2023 & the manager asked if we wanted to relinquish our we we said yes. We got a quit claim in the last Saturday & I called the resort to find if we sign & notarized if that would release us from our maintenance Fee's she said cause we would no be the owner of said week trying to if that statement is true, so we don't get a bill or dragged into court.

Eddie W.
Dec 20, 2023

eddiew46 wrote:
I have a timeshare at Moosehead Resort Cottage, We called by the resort & we're not using in 2023 & the manager asked if we wanted to relinquish our we we said yes. We got a quit claim in the last Saturday & I called the resort to find if we sign & notarized if that would release us from our maintenance Fee's she said cause we would no be the owner of said week trying to if that statement is true, so we don't get a bill or dragged into court.

Not many resorts accept “deedbacks” and most that do so charge a fee. If your resort accepts deedbacks and you no longer want that ownership, then by all means sign and return that quit claim deed — pronto! Just make very sure that the new signed deed then gets officially recorded, otherwise it doesn’t really mean much. Request (insist, actually) that the resort provide you with a copy of the officially recorded new deed, reflecting a book and page number (or “instrument” number) assigned by the keeper of official records (usually a County Clerk’s office) once that new deed gets officially recorded. Unless you can verify the official recording of the new deed, you can't prove "acceptance" by the new "grantee" (usually the HOA of the resort in "deedbacks").

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 26, 2023 11:26 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.