Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Trying to get rid of a timeshare already paid in full.

Aug 13, 2022

donnan243 wrote:
Need assistance with getting rid of time share. It’s paid off and never used. I am 72 and in poor health and need to get rid of it before I die so family not burdened with this. Thank you

The fastest and easiest "disposal" would be a deedback to the resort. Have you inquired directly with the resort as to whether or not they will accept a deedback? Some do, some don't --- but you won't know until / unless you specifically ask them.

I suggest that you state your case and situation, clearly and in writing, directly to the BoD of the resort (don't bother with phone conversations with desk clerks --- this is strictly a BoD decision). Make it very clear that they can either accept a deedback, or recover the ownership later through foreclosure, but that in either case you don't intend to continue to pay maintenance fees. A smart BoD will accept the deedback option, but you have to initiate that inquiry. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 13, 2022 06:52 AM

Nov 22, 2023

We want to get rid of ours too. It’s paid off and the fees are crazy !!! We have ours in Las Vegas. I’m willing to give it away just take it over and pay the yearly fees. We don’t care to make money of it

Laura B.
Nov 22, 2023

We want to get rid of ours as well the fees are crazy. Ours is in Las Vegas. We’re not even looking to make money off of it just give it away take over the fees whatever

Laura B.
Nov 22, 2023

laurab1171 wrote:
We want to get rid of ours too. It’s paid off and the fees are crazy !!! We have ours in Las Vegas. I’m willing to give it away just take it over and pay the yearly fees. We don’t care to make money of it

Well, you have a few options. You can ask the resort's Homeowners' Association if it will take your unit back. Sometimes the HOA will do so if you pay the closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee. You can list it for sale or giveaway here on RedWeek. Other reputable sites for selling or giving away timeshares are E-Bay and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com). It has a Free Timeshares section where you can list for free that you want to give your unit away.

If all that fails, you can just stop paying your maintenance fees and let it go into foreclosure. The downsides of that is that you will probably face a bunch of harassing collection calls and letters and possibly a hit to your credit score or rating.

The last piece of advice (and most important) is to not go seeking the "help" of these exit companies that claim they can get you out of your contract. Many are scams.

Lance C.
Nov 24, 2023

lancec13 wrote:
The last piece of advice (and most important) is to not go seeking the "help" of these exit companies that claim they can get you out of your contract. Many are scams.

Many are scams ???

I respectfully submit that ALL so-called "timeshare exit" entities are scams.

Only the amount of money charged by these various thieving parasites differs from one another. There may be slight variations on their tall tales and phony "guarantees", but every last one of them is still a scam.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 26, 2023 11:22 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.