Travel Tips & Advice

Marriott Vacation Club - should we buy?

Feb 26, 2019

Hi there - last week, we went to a presentation and bought 1500 points. However, after reading the contract line by line, and doing research, I'm still not sure that the investment is worth it. (We can cancel the contract until this Friday)

We are still in communication with the sales, the finance and the contract people trying to get answers. My biggest question is - will 1500 points get us a 7 night stay in a 2 bedroom villa at all of the 50 resorts that MVC owns? I know there are exchange programs for other resorts, but it seems to me that MVC owns 50 and that we should be able to stay there without paying additional fees. Is this correct? Or, is 1500 not enough for one week so we will have to bank/borrow points year to year?

We are also the lowest tier, which means we can book 12 months out. But the higher tiers can book 13 months out, so will everything fill up within those 4 weeks?

Thanks for your help!

Lorraine L.
Feb 26, 2019

1500 points would not be enough for a week at most resorts. Although you probably could get more than a week during the off season at many resorts. https://advantagevacation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Marriott-Vacation-Club-Points-Chart-2018-2019.pdf

My guess is 2500 points would be the average cost for US mainland properties and that is in gold season (mid) and platinum only in locations like Orlando, Williamsburg and Branson. Beach and Ski locations during platinum would take more than 2500. Hawaii properties probably average around 4000 points for a 2 BR in an Ocean view.

Tracey S.

Last edited by tracey75 on Feb 26, 2019 11:35 AM

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Tracy Thank you so much for sharing that file. It's exactly what I needed, and not something that the Marriott sales team has shared with me. I see now that 1500 points is not going to take us far, so we need to reconsider this.

Are you a MVC member and, if so, do you like it?

Thanks again, Lorraine Lynch

Lorraine L.
Feb 27, 2019

I do not currently own anything from Marriott but have in the past. IMO the happiest MVCI members are ones who purchased pre 2010 and have one or more weeks with high points value that they can use in the system. The points program seems good but the buy in cost and the MF for trust points are quite high if you have enough points for most weeks. If you do purchase points you can rent points from other owners for not much more than the MF's on years when you need more points. That makes it quite flexible. As long as Marriott doesn't take away that feature even smaller points packages can be useful.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.