Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Kohala Suites HGVC Timeshare Sale

Feb 11, 2021

I own at Kohala Suites 2BR premier, annual/platinum season (9600 pts per week) and contacted Hilton to query about selling and was given a $14,000-$16,000 value estimate and the awesome news that Hilton would take a 25% commission if listed through them.

Obviously that did not thrill me so I contacted SellMyTimeshareNow to appraise my TS value. They seem to believe I could get near $40K…a little optimistic I know but I figured if it was anywhere near that it would be much better than Hilton’s deal. So I agreed and paid the $1,998 (which was promised to be my max outlay) to have them list my TS.

I have since perused the web and see that the timeshare resale market is not so hot. I now realize I should have just checked sites like this to see the REAL resale value. So am I hopeless to get more than $10K for this timeshare? Also, has anyone had experience cancelling with SellMyTimeshareNow? They say I have 10 days.

Thanks for any input.

snpperhd

Tk H.
Feb 11, 2021

tkh wrote:
Also, has anyone had experience cancelling with SellMyTimeshareNow? They say I have 10 days.

I believe Florida law allows you to get a refund from a listing service (which is what SMTN is) within ten days of purchase. Call them and find out.

The price of nearly $2000 to list your timeshare for sale is very high. RedWeek charges a lot less. Also, you can try E-Bay, My Resort Network, Craigslist, and Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com). With those sites, you can list your unit for sale for a lot less money.

Lance C.
Feb 12, 2021

I would do a search on SMTN. You will find that they are a listing service only. Their fees are up front. The listing prices are extremely high. They make their profit off of the listing fees - not the sale commission. If you are going to sell your home with a real estate agent, you would normally pay AFTER the sale is complete. SMTN doesn't care if you sell your timeshare. They already made their money. I would cancel this transaction, go on www.tug2.com and get some info on your timeshare (free to post) and go from there.

John I.
Feb 12, 2021

Thanks for all the comments/assistance. I have already requested the cancellation and to fair, the SMTN consultant assisting me throughout has been very attentive and honest. Too bad she could not sell my timeshare for $40K:)

Tk H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.