Timeshare Companies

Sale of a time share

Jan 10, 2022

If I post a timeshare for sale in Reedweek, and I have a buyer, does the Timeshare company has to approve the sale? do I need a lawyer? how do I transfer the deed to the new owner. This is at the Kierland with Vistana. Thanks Ereina.

Enrique P.
Jan 10, 2022

You certainly do not need a lawyer just to transfer ownership of a timeshare. A timeshare closing company (personally, I use and like LT Transfers in Georgia, which will handle all ownership transfer details for you for around $200) --- but you must of course first find your own buyer. Also, be aware that Vistana might impose it's own separate "transfer fee" to process a change in ownership. If so, that transfer fee is a completely separate cost and it is not included within the fees of any closing entity. You and your buyer should agree in advance whether the buyer or the seller (you) will pay any applicable Vistana "transfer fee".

What I do not know about your particular ownership is whether Vistana has ROFR (right of first refusal) privileges. If they do, then Vistana can (if they choose to) simply buy the ownership back from you at the same price that you have already agreed to with a buyer. It would certainly be wise to find out directly from Vistana whether or not ROFR applies to your particular ownership. If Vistana has ROFR but thinks that the agreed selling price you have with a buyer is too high, then Vistana will simply decline to exercise ROFR and allow you to go right ahead sell it for your agreed price (assuming, of course, that Vistana even has ROFR in the first place; I do not claim to know).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 11, 2022 02:19 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.