Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Some people’s outrageous prices!

Jan 23, 2024

I just saw a posting for a room in Aruba (I won’t mention the resort) in which I actually own the room next door so it’s the same exact unit. It is basically a studio room. The “ocean view” is obstructed and little can be seen. I know what the maintenance fee is and most people do post their rentals for $200-300 over. This guy is asking for more than $2,500 over what he pays for maintenance fees! I just hope people check out the prices of rentals on the website and actual location and size of the room before contacting him!

Cindy B.
Jan 31, 2024

I have lost 2 rentals and am wondering if there is a better way to rent than just clicking request? Thank you for any help you can give me. Best to all, Ellen

Ellen B.
Feb 03, 2024

Not in this group, but from a different group, I discussed a rental opportunity and I thought the price was high. The guy educated me; he paid $100,000 for 25 years of his timeshare in Cabo San Lucas. When he places it to rent, he is amortizing to re-coop that cost and adding the maintenance fee. I can assume there are people who buy timeshare for an investment to turn into a rental business, maybe….

Myrna B.
Feb 03, 2024

Some timeshare owners don’t grasp (or are just in denial about) the fact that prospective renters (and / or resale buyers) don’t care one bit about what amount an owner may have originally paid for their timeshare. That information is completely irrelevant in the open market. Renters (or resale buyers) will understandably always shop for the best pricing and overpriced listings will usually elicit only “crickets”.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 04, 2024 06:02 AM

Feb 03, 2024

I want to sell my week resort at Carlsbad Seapointe Resort, San Diego area, California. What is a fair price to ask? Thanks

Alan S.
Feb 04, 2024

alans580 wrote:
I want to sell my week...What is a fair price to ask? Thanks

First, it would help to know what your unit is worth on the resale market. Understand that the majority of units out there are worth about zero dollars on the resale market. One thing you can try doing is, if you have an E-Bay account, look for completed (not active) listings for units in the same resort and similar to yours to see what they sold for. That will give you a good idea of what it is worth on the resale market.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.