Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Anyone know anything about Finn Law Group?

Feb 27, 2014

You have some serious issues. Once again I was just trying to tell the person asking if anyone knew anything about them, what I know through others. The only reason I was on this site is because my friend is considering going with them, so we looked up the reviews, to show her. We read these statements, so I thought I would tell what I heard through others. Please stop calling me a Shill....you are being RUDE! I shouldn't even have to explain myself. This is the last time I give my opinion or advice.

Nicole M.
Feb 28, 2014

You obviously have an interest in promoting their scam. We have been in these forums warning people to avoid scams like this one. Take your scam somewhere else. All these phony law firms want is upfront money under the disguise of a " retainer ". You know nothing personally about them and you try to influence others to part with their hard earned money. Take a hike SHILL !!

Let's see how much you know about them. Do they have an office you can walk into and sit down with an attorney or a staff memeber or do they use a drop box as an " office " ? What is their actual street address...... not a drop box ? What name and actual phone number of the president of the comapny ? If you can't answer the above questions then it's a SCAM operation !!!

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Feb 28, 2014 07:35 AM

Mar 01, 2014

No marks against his law license in Michigan or Florida.

Florida: http://www.floridabar.org/names.nsf/0/883A4F09A5C0967E852578870050B879?OpenDocument

Michigan: http://www.michbar.org/memberdirectory/detail.cfm?PID=13440

As far as I can tell their actual office is still in Florida, because the Michigan address appears to just be a post office, and his file with the Michigan Bar Association has his address as Largo, FL. Finn Law Group is incorporated in both Michigan and Florida. Exemplary reviews on various sites.

But still, proceed at your own risk.

J V.
Mar 02, 2014

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare. Phony lawyers and paralegals are the new cam in the industry. All they want is your upfront money and then the excuses start. It's your money throw it away if you want.

Don P.
Mar 04, 2014

My understanding of the Finn Group- and this is not an endorsement- is that they do a fair number of TS cases. They are attached to some larger class action suits against Wyndham, Orangelake and Westgate from both owners and former employees. My understanding is also that they are the equivalent of tv advertising ambulance chasing- if you have a phone or computer- you have a lawyer-law firm. They go for as many cases as possible. I don't know how successful they are- I think they settle a lot with undisclosed settlements so it is hard to say. So I don't think they are an outright scam where they take your money and you never hear from them again except to try to get you to send more money but I don't think they are a magic solution to get out of a contract and there may be less expensive alternatives, like a lot of persistence and frequently asking to be released and trying to find someone to buy or give your TS. So if you hire them they may be able to help you reach a settlement with the developer or they may not but you will have a bunch of billable hours that you owe for their effort.

Tracey S.
Mar 05, 2014

From what I've read their main success is with class action lawsuits = groups .... I have my doubts that they can get individuals out of a legally binding contract unless fraud can be proven.

R P.
May 07, 2014

Why can't I find Finn Law Group on Yelp? Suspicious here… are they sleeping with the enemies (TimeShare Resorts)….? I'm trying to get out/get rid of a paid timeshare in Mexico. I no longer use it and I keep getting the run around with the Time share resorts…. Fed up. Any advice from anyone other then a lawyer.

Carter A.
May 07, 2014

NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get rid of your timeshare. You might be stuck with your timeshare in Mexico unless you are willing to walk away from it. There is a very slight chance they will come after you for the money or blemish your credit report.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on May 07, 2014 03:55 PM

May 09, 2014

Yes, they will absolutely turn it over to a credit agency. They usually turn it over to debt collectors in California. Mexican resorts usually turn it over to a creditor company called Concord. Mexican resorts are harder to get out of, but most of them do negotiate to get you out of your obligation (contract).

Nicole M.
May 09, 2014

nicolem348 wrote:
Yes, they will absolutely turn it over to a credit agency. They usually turn it over to debt collectors in California. Mexican resorts usually turn it over to a creditor company called Concord. Mexican resorts are harder to get out of, but most of them do negotiate to get you out of your obligation (contract).

When a legally signed contract to buy a timeshare is in place then there is no way of getting out of that contract unless fraud can be PROVEN.

R P.
May 09, 2014

Timeshare companies like many other organizations sometimes respond to the squeaky wheel. I would always suggest asking nicely to begin and see if you can work out some mutually agreeable solution but if you feel that the sales folk committed fraud and deception and you post it all over the place, I have heard of more than one Mexican company that will then reach out and deal and then as a part of the deal require you not to disclose the deal and to go back and retract as much as possible of your posts and if that is not possible to put in a simple message that you have requested your posts be removed and that you have worked out a satisfactory solution with the developer and then never post again about it.

For Mexico timeshares when you feel that there was fraud again even if you aren't sure you can "prove it", it is wise to contact Profecto- Mexico's consumer protection agency to see if they can help.

Its questionable whether an attorney can help you for timeshare issues in the US. For non us timeshares a US attorney won't be able to help at all. And as to attorney's in the country in question the likelihood of getting scammed is even higher.

Tracey S.
Jan 20, 2015

I'm considering using them. In my case, there could be a strong case for fraud, and they've offered to evaluate that further at no cost. I'm not expected to pay until their lawyer decides that it's worth the hassle(more or less). I bought at Westgate and it sounds like they've already established a precedence for fraudulent business practices, which makes me think it could be worth it, being as I still owe more than the attorney fees. I had a very sobering, but calming conversion with Tammy their case coordinator yesterday. After all the headache that this whole timeshare thing has been for me, it was a relieving draft of fresh air to learn what I learned in that conversation (I won't get into it on this forum). I've done some fact checking, and what she told me has all checked out. For me, this could be a good idea.

Thomas P.
Jan 20, 2015

Say good bye to some more of your hard earned money.

Don P.
Jan 21, 2015

Hi Thomas, My understanding is that although Westgate is at or near the bottom when it comes to sales practices and honesty, they generally have good lawyers and don't lose their cases. They have a reputation of stalling and throwing up as many walls as possible trying to make it as expensive as possible to pursue action against them. If I were you I would be very careful.

Tracey S.
Jan 21, 2015

thomasp382 wrote:
I'm considering using them. In my case, there could be a strong case for fraud, and they've offered to evaluate that further at no cost. I'm not expected to pay until their lawyer decides that it's worth the hassle(more or less).

The major problem in cases like this is to actually prove there was fraud. You don't have to answer this in a public forum but how will you be able to prove fraud. Usually it's a matter of I said, they said.

At best, all this law firm will do is negotiate with Westgate to take your unit back while Westgate keeps the money you've already sunk into the mortgage. It's your call.

Lance C.
Jan 22, 2015

Let me see if I understand you completely. First you signed a contract to purchase points in a vacation club that you didn't have the money for and had to finance most of it. You probably could have bought a mid size car with that money. Now you want to throw more money that you don't have to see if you can walk away from your commitment that you already spent thousands of dollars on.

This law firm can not guarantee that you will be successful but you believe them because a nice voice on the phone convinced you that you have a good chance. Sounds like you need to listen to others in here that have more insight into the timeshare business.

Like we advise a lot of people first try contacting the resort and see if you can give it back through a deed back. It is the cheapest and fastest way to relieve yourself of future payments. You can do it yourself or pay the law firm thousands of dollars to do it for you. You already made one poor decision so think about throwing good money after bad. Our advise is free the law firm charges thousands of dollars and can not guarantee results. Your choice.

thomasp382 wrote:
I'm considering using them. In my case, there could be a strong case for fraud, and they've offered to evaluate that further at no cost. I'm not expected to pay until their lawyer decides that it's worth the hassle(more or less). I bought at Westgate and it sounds like they've already established a precedence for fraudulent business practices, which makes me think it could be worth it, being as I still owe more than the attorney fees. I had a very sobering, but calming conversion with Tammy their case coordinator yesterday. After all the headache that this whole timeshare thing has been for me, it was a relieving draft of fresh air to learn what I learned in that conversation (I won't get into it on this forum). I've done some fact checking, and what she told me has all checked out. For me, this could be a good idea.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jan 22, 2015 12:26 PM

Sep 09, 2015

Hey Thomas, did you end up using them?

Tony B.
Dec 14, 2015

I have dealt with both of this law firm and Aaronson Law over my timeshare! Both are definitely legit, hands down! I decided to hire Aaronson instead. Lawyers can definitely work and yes you have to pay for it. Nothing is free. If people can show you way to get of for free then I definitely recommend that. Both Finn and Aaronson Law Group are legit. You can call, email, hey you can even walk right into the law firm and talk to someone.

donp196 wrote:
You obviously have an interest in promoting their scam. We have been in these forums warning people to avoid scams like this one. Take your scam somewhere else. All these phony law firms want is upfront money under the disguise of a " retainer ". You know nothing personally about them and you try to influence others to part with their hard earned money. Take a hike SHILL !!

Let's see how much you know about them. Do they have an office you can walk into and sit down with an attorney or a staff memeber or do they use a drop box as an " office " ? What is their actual street address...... not a drop box ? What name and actual phone number of the president of the comapny ? If you can't answer the above questions then it's a SCAM operation !!!

Laura J.

Last edited by lauraj214 on Dec 15, 2015 12:03 PM

Dec 14, 2015

NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get you out of your contract especially an ambulance chasing law firm. If they come into the forums trolling for business then they are the same ones that will chase ambulances to get accident cases. Just remember fifty percent of all attorneys graduated in the bottom half od their class. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 by contacting the home resorts and negotiating deed backs ( quit claims ) without throwing away thousands of dollars on attorneys fees. Don't pay someone money that claims they can get you out of your contract.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Dec 14, 2015 01:22 PM

Dec 15, 2015

U make it sound so easy. Wish it would have been that easy for me! What timeshares did you have and how much did you pay to get rid of them!

donp196 wrote:
NEVER pay anyone money upfront to get you out of your contract especially an ambulance chasing law firm. If they come into the forums trolling for business then they are the same ones that will chase ambulances to get accident cases. Just remember fifty percent of all attorneys graduated in the bottom half od their class. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 by contacting the home resorts and negotiating deed backs ( quit claims ) without throwing away thousands of dollars on attorneys fees. Don't pay someone money that claims they can get you out of your contract.

Laura J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.