Ask RedWeek

Cancelling within 10 days

Apr 12, 2018

I'm glad you had a good outcome getting out of your timeshare. I am in the same position now. I sent a cancellation letter via certified mail just 3 days after signing. They just received the letter today. I'm wondering how long did you have to waiting to get your confirmation that your timeshare contract was cancelled?

carlosa125 wrote:
Probably no one would care much; but...

I just received a letter from the Resort confirmation that my contract has been cancelled and the funds re-imbursed. I cant believe it and hope the best outcome for anyone dealing with the burden of this type of contracts.!!

will be looking forward to book / rent from you guys in the future.

best for all!

Andrea B.
Apr 17, 2018

I am interested in renting a timeshare through Redweek at the Marriott Ko Olina. If for some reason we are not able to make the trip what is your cancellation/refund policy please?

Patricia A.

Last edited by patriciaa431 on Apr 17, 2018 09:58 PM

Apr 18, 2018

andreab428 wrote:
I'm glad you had a good outcome getting out of your timeshare. I am in the same position now. I sent a cancellation letter via certified mail just 3 days after signing. They just received the letter today. I'm wondering how long did you have to waiting to get your confirmation that your timeshare contract was cancelled?

carlosa125 wrote:
Probably no one would care much; but...

I just received a letter from the Resort confirmation that my contract has been cancelled and the funds re-imbursed. I cant believe it and hope the best outcome for anyone dealing with the burden of this type of contracts.!!

will be looking forward to book / rent from you guys in the future.

best for all!

The carlosa125 post you quote is 5 years old now; it is unlikely there will be a reply.

State laws require that a timely and properly submitted rescission (cancellation) be processed, with 100% refund of any and all money or deposit paid within 45 days. The refund will be issued back to the exact same means by which the deposit was paid (check, same credit card, etc.). If submitted after the particular state law deadline (3-10 days, depending on the individual state), rescission / cancellation is not possible and deposit will not be refunded. All of this is true no mater who the developer might be (you didn't identify yours, but it doesn't really matter --- state law dictates rescission matters, not the whims or preferences of any developer).

The law does not actually require that you be "updated" or "contacted" in any way. They might send a confirmation letter, but are not actually required to do so. Their only obligation is to cancel the contract and issue a 100% refund --- no more, no less. Customarily, the whole rescission process is completed within 30 days.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 18, 2018 06:02 AM

Apr 18, 2018

patriciaa431 wrote:
I am interested in renting a timeshare through Redweek at the Marriott Ko Olina. If for some reason we are not able to make the trip what is your cancellation/refund policy please?

Patricia -

If you are renting a posting that is RedWeek verified and has payment protection, then the rental agreement states: "If Renter cancels at least 60 days prior to check-in, 50% of the total rental amount will be paid to the owner as a cancellation penalty, less agreed-upon fees. For cancellations less than 60 days prior to check-in, the penalty is 100% less fees."

If you are renting from an individual owner who is not using RedWeek payment protection, then you would need to ask the owner what their cancellation policy is. The owner has already paid for the week with their maintenance fees, so once they have rented the week, they remove their posting from the website and lose other opportunities to rent it. So there is usually no cancellation, but you would need to check with the individual owner to verify. You should make sure there is a rental agreement that specifies what happens if you cancel.

You may also want to check out purchasing travel insurance. Our Forums pages is a good reference point to find out from other RedWeek users what they have purchased and recommend.

If you have further questions, please contact Customer Service directly: support@redweek.com.

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Apr 23, 2018

Hello, My husband and I have been owner since feb. 2017. We purchased a 1 bedroom for Westgate lakes in Orlando, Florida every other year while in Las Vegas on vacation. While on vacation April 13 - 20th this year we were offer to upgrade to 3 bedroom. We were told the 1 bed room they sold us last year was not available so they wanted to offer us to purchase the rest of the unit they sold us which would be a three bedroom. So I guess they sold us inventory they didn't have available. The sales person did not explain to us clearly what the problem was with the 1 bedroom she kept saying she would explain it later but never did. She just began to convince us that the 3 bedroom was a good deal and how we could make money off the unit to pay our new $300 monthly payment and $1275 maintenance fees. We are going to rescind the contract at this point because we feel we were not given a good deal and was mislead on what was going on with our current 1 bedroom unit which we were comfortable with making the 153.00 payments on. My question is what will happen to our 1 bedroom if we rescind the contract at this point? We don't know if they owe us anything for the 1 bedroom since we own it or did we just give up our rights to it by signing the quit claim deed during the upgrade. We really don't care that much if we loose the 1 bedroom we just want our equity and down payment from this current deal. At this point we just want out because we feel they were deceptive and did not give us all the information to make a fair decision on whether to keep the unit we had or not.

Thanks,

Lydia

Lydia C.
Apr 23, 2018

lydiac60 wrote:
We are going to rescind the contract at this point because we feel we were not given a good deal and was mislead on what was going on with our current 1 bedroom unit which we were comfortable with making the 153.00 payments on. My question is what will happen to our 1 bedroom if we rescind the contract at this point?

It's really quite simple. If you rescind (cancel) properly and before the applicable state law deadline, you will revert right back to exactly where you were before making the second purchase / upgrade. It would be as if that "upgrade" pitch you fell for never even happened at all. However, If you don't meet the applicable state law deadline to rescind / cancel in writing and under signature, all bets are off and you will be locked in to whatever contract you signed in the "upgrade".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 24, 2018 05:23 AM

Apr 23, 2018

May I ask, where did you send the letter? The directions for cancelling mine are not clear (big surprise). It does not state where to send it. I purchased a 2 Bd deluxe at Westgate Palace in Orlando and DEEPLY regretting it. I was SUPER excited at first but the horror stories are overwhelming. Thanks for the help.

Deanna S.
Apr 23, 2018

deannas148 wrote:
May I ask, where did you send the letter? The directions for cancelling mine are not clear (big surprise). It does not state where to send it.

Maybe check this out:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/westgate-cancellation-secret-pocket.html

Lance C.
Apr 24, 2018

deannas148 wrote:
May I ask, where did you send the letter? The directions for cancelling mine are not clear (big surprise). It does not state where to send it. I purchased a 2 Bd deluxe at Westgate Palace in Orlando and DEEPLY regretting it. I was SUPER excited at first but the horror stories are overwhelming. Thanks for the help.

I believe that the address to use for a FL purchase is Westgate Resorts, 2801 Old Winter Garden Rd, Ocoee FL (you'll have to look up the zip code on your own).

Don't delay if you are still within the 10 days provided by FL law to rescind. Anything you buy from Westgate will essentially be immediately worthless in the resale market if / when you might want to part company with the ownership later. Get out while you still can.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 24, 2018 08:16 AM

Apr 24, 2018

I sent my letter of cancellation today by certified, regular and UPS mail with a copy to the FL Attorney General!! I'm so glad I found this resource. Once I am confident it has been truly cancelled, I'm looking forward to purchasing a legit timeshare!

Deanna S.
Apr 24, 2018

deannas148 wrote:
...I'm looking forward to purchasing a legit timeshare!

Just to be fair, as much-maligned and infamous Westgate is, Westgate timeshares are still legit. But I would suggest taking time to research all the ins, outs, ups, and downs of owning any timeshare regardless of the timeshare company and regardless of what price you pick it up for, even if it is free.

Look into the many options you now have such as renting from current owners. You might even be able to snag a rental for less than the maintenance fees. Remember, opposite to what that timeshare salesperson told you, there will always be plenty of cheap or free timeshares out there. So don't be in a rush to acquire any until you are fully aware of what you are getting into.

Lance C.
Apr 27, 2018

I sent a certified letter within the 10 day window (this past Sunday was day #1) but NOT the tablet. Do I need to send in the tablet also in order for the deal to be canceled OR is the certified letter enough?

Jesse H.
Apr 27, 2018

Just follow the instructions for the cancellation to the letter and make sure you send it receipt return so you have a record that they received it. You can worry about the tablet another time .

Don P.
Apr 27, 2018

jesseh75 wrote:
I sent a certified letter within the 10 day window (this past Sunday was day #1) but NOT the tablet. Do I need to send in the tablet also in order for the deal to be canceled OR is the certified letter enough?

If you fail to return the tablet and all of the owner materials provided to you, Westgate can (and will) lawfully deduct $150 from your deposit refund.

You need not send those other materials (only the rescission letter itself) by certified USPS mail --- just use the cheapest option available to send back the tablet and owner materials.

It's state law (not Westgate benevolence) that provides you with the opportunity to cancel the contract. Be grateful --- it wasn't all that many years ago that the state laws on the books today regarding contract cancellations within a specified period of time did not even exist at all!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2018 08:17 AM

Apr 27, 2018

lancec13 wrote:
Just to be fair, as much-maligned and infamous Westgate is, Westgate timeshares are still legit.

I have to respectfully disagree, at least in part. Westgate properties are certainly nice enough, but Westgate practices are despicable (and I'm not just referring to their aggressive and deceitful sales weasels).

Specifically, Westgate imposes very limiting constraints upon people seeking to make reservations with Westgate timeshares purchased in the resale market, essentially rendering a Westgate timeshare ownership nearly worthless in the resale market. Any "value" in a Westgate timeshare (albeit originally purchased at obscenely high initial buy-in cost) basically exists only with actual use of the "product" by the original developer-direct buyer. To the best of my knowledge and belief, Westgate alone among all of the "chains" in the timeshare industry deliberately imposes these severe (and very arbitrary and unfair) reservation constraints on resale owners, in essence discriminating against people who acquire their Westgate timeshares in the secondary (resale) market. Clearly, Westgate is looking out only for themselves, with no evident concern or consideration for Westgate timeshare buyers.

Would you buy a new car that literally became nearly worthless in the resale market the very moment that you left the car dealer's lot? Not me, thanks.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2018 12:21 PM

Oct 10, 2018

How long did u wait for them to send u the mail ?

Honay B.
Oct 16, 2018

Could you tell me how long you going to receive their letter which said your contract have been cancel. I personally delivered my Cancellation Notice to the office and got a copy of it with signature of the manager who said he canceled my contract and the date he received my cancellation notice. But for now is a week already I haven’t received any letter or email from them?

Duy L.
Oct 16, 2018

I have been waiting for 8 days. The manager said I will get my refund in 10 days. But I still don’t feel safe since I haven’t heard any from them.

Duy L.
Oct 16, 2018

I sent my letters on April 24, 2018. The date of my cancellation letter is May 2, 2018 and the date on the stamp is May 4, 2018. So, give or take it took another 3-4 days to actually receive the letter, which would bring it to approximately 2 weeks from the date I sent my letter. I got a partial refund on May 2nd and the remaining refund about a month after they received my return of the laptop. Hope this helps.

Deanna S.
Oct 19, 2018

duyl2 wrote:
I have been waiting for 8 days. The manager said I will get my refund in 10 days. But I still don’t feel safe since I haven’t heard any from them.

A developer actually has 45 days (by applicable Federal credit law) to issue a full refund, although it doesn't usually take that long. The "10 days" statement made to you was either very optimistic or an outright lie.

By the way, no developer has any obligation to update you at any time. Their one and only obligation is to process a properly and timely ("timely" is defined by individual state law) written rescission, correctly addressed, and issue 100% refund of any and all money paid within 45 days. No more, no less.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 19, 2018 06:05 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.