Timeshare Companies

Class Action Against Diamond Resorts?

May 31, 2014

I too was taken advantage of by DRI. I bought an ILX resort in Sedona, AZ. The MFs were reasonable, IMO. As soon as DRI bought it, the fees skyrocketed. I have just started a FB page so that maybe we can all band together in one place & get something done about this. I have a question for everyone. Was anyone given the option to opt out of DRI or to sell back your timeshare when they took over? I feel like I signed a contract with ILX, not DRI & shouldn't be held to DRI's horrible policies. Maybe I'm just being naive. Btw, my FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/angryaboutdiamondresorts

Please like the page & share it with anyone else you know that is unhappy with DRI.

Also, if anyone is interested in a class action suit against DRI, please go like the FB page & message me, either here or there. There's strength in numbers! Let's stop complaining & start doing something about them.

Andrea H.
May 31, 2014

DRI are liars, liars, liars. Just went on a time share presentation yesterday in Maui and they were trying to tell us that $ 96,000 was a great deal for 11,000 pts. Luckily we were smart enough to see through her lies. Stay away from them liars, liars , liars. People with no integrity work there. Not sure how they sleep at night. I wish you all the best with your lawsuit. I have a friend in your position let me know if you want her contact info. Bought before it was sold to DRI , not pts system yet, in Maui and the fees keep going up. I think class action lawsuit is a great idea.

Pina S.
Jun 22, 2014

Diamond has some good things going for it, I thought, but I'm seeing some tricky practices. The most noticeable for me was PVC Round House (I was a PVC owner first, they bought it through bankruptcy) I have grandfathered points to use this and other PVC facilities which are less than what DRI requires. I bought (silly me) addition points to have more time at this resort in the summer months. So what's the problem. I can't get the time and DRI WHOLESALED THE DAYS AND WEEKS ON AMAZON AS A RENTAL FOR DRI. We, of course, can't rent our weeks.

According to DRI when I called to complain their "reasoning" was that they bought the deeded week which was what they were selling in the bankruptcy so could rent them. However their were never any "deeded " weeks with PVC. They are also a little touch when challenged on this.

I do find responsive though which is better than nothing. But I'm still very, very unhappy.

Joan W.
Jun 24, 2014

I don't know if a class action is possible. Most of what I've read seems to say we are stuck. But I'm in if someone will take the case.

Beth M.
Jun 29, 2014

There has to be a way to at least complain - may be we all need to go to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or some other consumer oversight authority.

Beth C.
Jun 30, 2014

Even though I am really unhappy with the taking over of inventory by DRI at the Roundhouse...I still have steam coming out of my ears....I am very happy with other parts of DRI. I wrote the email to the CEO and they have a team of people who answer these emails. I don't know if he really sees any, he wouldn't be doing anything else if he did.

They are responsive, but don't see anything wrong with what they did. This does bother me. Its a me first attitude that I don't see when a at resort. I bet this was some corporate flunky decision thinking he/she could fix a bottom line. Your Bad DRI and is egg on the face of Kloobeck (sp?) when he talks the "everything for owners" talk.

Joan W.
Nov 23, 2015

I bought my timeshare in Sedona since 2001 and it was a whole other deal. I have try to output since DRI bought it and they changed the rules but as you mentioned, it seems we are stuck. Can´t we just hire a lawer???

Monica P.
Feb 03, 2016

I am looking to take Diamond Resorts to court in an attempt to sue for damages as well as getting most of my money back. I'm looking for a good attorney as well as others who need to file suit as well. If there are any timeshare owners who share any wrongdoing please let me know and perhaps together we can move forward

Kevin B B.
Feb 03, 2016

I am looking to take Diamond Resorts to court in an attempt to sue for damages as well as getting most of my money back. I'm looking for a good attorney as well as others who need to file suit as well. If there are any timeshare owners who share any wrongdoing please let me know and perhaps together we can move forward

andreah255 wrote:
I too was taken advantage of by DRI. I bought an ILX resort in Sedona, AZ. The MFs were reasonable, IMO. As soon as DRI bought it, the fees skyrocketed. I have just started a FB page so that maybe we can all band together in one place & get something done about this. I have a question for everyone. Was anyone given the option to opt out of DRI or to sell back your timeshare when they took over? I feel like I signed a contract with ILX, not DRI & shouldn't be held to DRI's horrible policies. Maybe I'm just being naive. Btw, my FB page:

Please like the page & share it with anyone else you know that is unhappy with DRI.

Also, if anyone is interested in a class action suit against DRI, please go like the FB page & message me, either here or there. There's strength in numbers! Let's stop complaining & start doing something about them.

Kevin B B.
Feb 11, 2016

My husband and I are also looking at how to get rid of this horrible time share! It seems after much research, they make it impossible to do so even though the product they sold us is crap. We can never get availability where we want and the fees are more than an actual booking at a hotel rate. I've mentioned my concerns several times to their "people" but it seems they just want to sell you more points. We really want to sell it or donate it or something but need legal help negotiating this since DR is not at all helpful. We bought in 2011 and have had nothing but problems and always winding up settling to use the points somewhere we don't want. They greatly misrepresented the ease of use and the variety of locations and the value of the entire product.

Rosemarie G.
Feb 11, 2016

rosemarieg20 wrote:
We really want to sell it or donate it or something but need legal help negotiating this since DR is not at all helpful. We bought in 2011 and have had nothing but problems and always winding up settling to use the points somewhere we don't want. They greatly misrepresented the ease of use and the variety of locations and the value of the entire product.

Those sales people always tend to embellish, exaggerate, or flat-out lie about the product they are selling.

Now to address your predicament. The first rule of thumb is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare because that is always a scam. There are some companies out there that claim they specialize in getting owners' contracts cancelled but they will charge you thousands of dollars and even then, won't do what you paid them to do.

Secondly, watch out for companies and charities that say they accept "donations". If they do, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do so. No bona fide charity is accepting timeshares as donations.

If you are dead serious about getting rid of your unit, first of all, make sure that the mortgage is paid off and that all your maintenance fees (and special assessments if there are any) are all up-to-date. No one is going to want to take on a unit with these owing on them. Then advertise on reputable web sites such as here on RedWeek, E-Bay, Craigslist, Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"), or My Resort Network. Mention that you simply want to give your unit away and perhaps even offer as an incentive to the new taker that you will pay the transfer costs (about $200) plus the next maintenance fee.

And again, this can't be overemphasized, do not pay any company, law firm, charity, etc. a large fee to "cancel" your timeshare.

Lance C.
Apr 05, 2016

We are rught now staying at the polo towers, we we at an "owners update" where they told us out ILX is a "dead deed" and they will get rid of it if we "buy more points" to do so for 23, 000.00 more dollars!!!! I felt we were slipping into yet another scam.... we have 3000 points with ILX and 2000 points with diamond. If duamond bought ILX don't my ILX POINTS BECOME DIAMOND POINTS??? So why on God's green earth would I "re-buy my points?!!!! If my deed is dead what does that mean? I no longer have that deed with ILX? WE ALL NEED HELP!! MUCHELLE

Michelle N Marc C.
Apr 05, 2016

You have a contract with them and they can't change that. Don't be intimidated by their lies . They are trying to get more money out of you . Tell them you want to record the BS they are telling you and watch how fast they back down. They will tell you lies but all that matters is what is on paper. Remember that when a salespersons lips are moving he's lying. Just tell them that you are going to keep what you have and that you are going to consult with an attorney when you get home to go over your contract .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Apr 05, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 12, 2016

I'm in! I paid for a "sampler" that could be used for other uses at time of purchase. When I wanted to pay my fees with it, the rules had changed. They will say anything to get the sale, but when they change the rules, you are SOL!

Iris C.
Apr 12, 2016

irisc38 wrote:
I'm in!

I would be cautions about enlisting the help of some of these class action suits. While they might have good intentions, oftentimes plaintiffs just wind up paying lawyers' fees and get very little in return. For a classic example, research what happened with the class action suit against RCI about seven years ago. In short, RCI lost and paid big but all the customers who joined in as plaintiffs received very little in compensation after all the attorneys' fees were paid.

Lance C.
Apr 22, 2016

I recently filed a suit against DRI related to fraudulent sales practices. I also recently filed a complaint with the Attorney General regarding deceptive sales practices specific to ILX owners. If interested I can provide additional information

Mark S.
Apr 22, 2016

There is a current Attorney General complaint under investigation specific to ILX owners. I can provide contact information

bethc252 wrote:
There has to be a way to at least complain - may be we all need to go to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or some other consumer oversight authority.

Mark S.
Apr 22, 2016

There is a currant Attorney General complaint under investigation. Contact information is available.

andreah255 wrote:

Mark S.
Apr 22, 2016

There is a current Attorney General investigation underway specific to ILX owners. Contact information is available

monicap122 wrote:
I bought my timeshare in Sedona since 2001 and it was a whole other deal. I have try to output since DRI bought it and they changed the rules but as you mentioned, it seems we are stuck. Can´t we just hire a lawer???

Mark S.
Apr 22, 2016

The is an Attorney General complaint under investigation specific to your exact problem. Contact information is available.

michellenmarcc wrote:
We are rught now staying at the polo towers, we we at an "owners update" where they told us out ILX is a "dead deed" and they will get rid of it if we "buy more points" to do so for 23, 000.00 more dollars!!!! I felt we were slipping into yet another scam.... we have 3000 points with ILX and 2000 points with diamond. If duamond bought ILX don't my ILX POINTS BECOME DIAMOND POINTS??? So why on God's green earth would I "re-buy my points?!!!! If my deed is dead what does that mean? I no longer have that deed with ILX? WE ALL NEED HELP!! MUCHELLE

Mark S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.