Point Systems

Global Access thru Orange Lake Resorts

Sep 04, 2007

lee144 wrote:
ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience exchanging their "week" to Global access points? Any positive or negative feedback?
Hi.

I have purchased an extra week so that I can use weeks with 'Global'.

My experience is that I am appauled by the service provided by Global and RCI.

They have turned me from an Orange Lakes lover into a hater of this system. I am now considering selling the three weeks I own because I spend hours on the phone resolving problems.

I cannot easily book exchanges and the management of these organisations need to experience the low standard of customer service experienced.

My advice. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

Ya know, I was thinking about changing one of my weeks to points thru Global Access. The communication was terrible and thet don't know if they are on foot or horseback. Anyway, yesterday we were told that us old owners are grandfathered into the old sysytem in which , as a weeks and points owners of time shares thru RCI, I can still deposit a week with RCI and then change the week to RCI points. In my case, no need for Global Access. In any case they are pretty bad off. I called and said I was interested in Global Access and it took the 4 weeks to call back amd 3 weeks to send me the paper work. I am thankful that I have not done anything

Can you fill me in on the grandfathered in clause. I have been an owner since 1992 I guess 16 years and I too am a weeks owner at Orange Lake and have traded several times with RCI with little to complain about. I could use any advice you have

Mark F.
Sep 04, 2007

I am an owner since 1992 16 years and own week 13 in the West village. I have heard the rumors about the point sytsems and the need to change over to global access from RCI weeks. Is it needed? Can I change over to RCI points instead of weeks? They are telling me that it would cost me 2084$ to get into Global Access or buy another week. I tried to just switch to the 15th week from the 13th week and they wanted 13,500 to switch weeks.

Mark F.
Sep 04, 2007

lee144 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience exchanging their "week" to Global access points? Any positive or negative feedback?
My experience with Orange Lake since Global Access is worse than terrible. It has become impossible to make exchanges. After over 20 years with RCI, which wasn't problem free, but tolerable, I am sorry I switched.

Ethel G.
Sep 04, 2007

markf140 wrote:
I am an owner since 1992 16 years and own week 13 in the West village. I have heard the rumors about the point sytsems and the need to change over to global access from RCI weeks. Is it needed? Can I change over to RCI points instead of weeks? They are telling me that it would cost me 2084$ to get into Global Access or buy another week. I tried to just switch to the 15th week from the 13th week and they wanted 13,500 to switch weeks.

I have a points account and a weeks account with RCI. They will let me deposit one of my weeks in the weeks account and then allow me to convert the week to points and move them into my points account. In order to do this you would have to buy some type of points timeshare.

Lee S.
Sep 04, 2007

markf140 wrote:

P.S. If you have week, you do not have to change it to points. From all that I hear, you want to stay away from Global Access

Lee S.
Nov 17, 2007

ericac22 wrote:
dawn91 wrote:
lee144 wrote:

My experience is it is bad. Very difficult to work with and get anything you want.

I have never met anyone with 1/2 a brain that couldn't spend their points. Online it is easiest so you can choose how to spend them yourself. If you aren't that savvy, you will spend a lot of time on the phone (hold) with someone who may or may not know what they are talking about. I suggest people who aren't online savvy do not buy in, but what are you doing on here?????

Well Erica, after reading your comments I've decided you are either a timeshare sales person who makes a living intimidating people into purchases they may or may not need, use or be able to afford-shame on you! The other possibility is "Erica 22" maybe you are only 22 years of age, young and unaware that many TS did not attend school from the tender age of 5 using a computer lab. I was considering giving you a pass because I was hoping you were just inexperienced. After second thoughts I decided if my 20 year old daughter made as rude and insensitive a comment I'd admonish her severly and bring the previous comments to her attention. Then I'd sip my coffee and wonder where I went wrong, you see her father and sister detest rude, arrogant, pseudo "savy" people as well, the whole family would be shamed. This forum is for members who wish to discuss issues, share stories, warn other members or pitfalls, offer helpful constructive advise NOT to suggest members who don't possess your computer skills shouldn't be on the site. The purpose is to offer advice based on good will. I assume any advise given on this forum is to assist members.

Suzanne S.

Last edited by suzannes39 on Nov 17, 2007 11:39 AM

Nov 17, 2007

markf140 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Hi.

They have turned me from an Orange Lakes lover into a hater of this system. I am now considering selling the three weeks I own because I spend hours on the phone resolving problems.

I cannot easily book exchanges and the management of these organisations need to experience the low standard of customer service experienced.

Ya know, I was thinking about changing one of my weeks to points thru Global Access. The communication was terrible and thet don't know if they are on foot or horseback. Anyway, yesterday we were told that us old owners are grandfathered into the old sysytem in which , as a weeks and points owners of time shares thru RCI, I can still deposit a week with RCI and then change the week to RCI points. In my case, no need for Global Access. In any case they are pretty bad off. I called and said I was interested in Global Access and it took the 4 weeks to call back amd 3 weeks to send me the paper work. I am thankful that I have not done anything

Can you fill me in on the grandfathered in clause. I have been an owner since 1992 I guess 16 years and I too am a weeks owner at Orange Lake and have traded several times with RCI with little to complain about. I could use any advice you have
I know the global access dept. has been revamped with new experienced staff. Has anyone tried to use their global access points and experienced difficulty? We own a 2bed/2bath in the North Village and have been happy banking and returning through RCI. The points system is appealing to us as our children are at an age where due to university schedules are unable to travel with us and we anticipate this trend to continue for a number of years. Spending 2 weeks in a studio in exchange for our unit certainly seems appealing. However after a great deal of warranted concerns over this program we are hesitant. Also the cost of conversion is now $2,084 with the rate going up "very soon". Any comments on member's experience would be greatly appreciated we are really on the fence teetering on NO THANKS. Thanks for your help! The cost of only $40.00 to book at OL on a week other than our assigned week as week owners as opposed to over $150.00 through RCI. We have always been week owners so are not in a position to compare RCI points to Global Access points and the booking confines. If there is anyone who has a RCI points property and a global asscess points membership through OL We would appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks!

Suzanne S.

Last edited by suzannes39 on Nov 17, 2007 11:44 PM

Nov 17, 2007

suzannes39, we bought a 3br unit in River Island last year and in the process concerted our 2br west village over to points as well. I am very familiar with RCI, having used it for years.

O.K., the good news is that the people in customer service at Global access are fantastic now. I booked through them last year and it was a bit sketchy. I recently booked through them again, and the few people were very friendly, and very helpful for internal (orange lake) exchanges.

Now for the bad news, when you are booking an RCI exchange i'm fairly certain you are just transfered to an RCI representative that handles Orange lakes owners exclusively. The RCI agent is given your point value, and you start your search. The really bad news is that so far as I can tell you can not yet use the online search functions available on the RCI website. This is a real problem since dealing with RCI on the phone is sheer torture. One of the very few things I liked about RCI was the online search tool. Being able to put in a search, and wait fo a match was very convenient. Sure, if I couldn't get what I wanted from an ongoing online search, sometimes I would call and get lucky with an agent assisted search, but being forced to go this route is a problem for me. I brought this up with Global, and they assure me this is "being worked on", but it's been a year, and still no online tool. If you do lots of RCI trades, just keep this in mind as it is a decrease in service of sorts when you convert.

Good Luck.

Garret C.
Feb 01, 2008

lee144 wrote:
ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Hi.

Brian W.
Feb 01, 2008

ethelg2 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
My experience with Orange Lake since Global Access is worse than terrible. It has become impossible to make exchanges. After over 20 years with RCI, which wasn't problem free, but tolerable, I am sorry I switched.
they tokd last year when i bought week 26 which gave me 75.000 points if i bought a resale it would grandfather global and give me global points also ,when i checked on this they had every excuise not to give it to the global system

Brian W.
Feb 01, 2008

markf140 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Hi.

in 06 when i purchached a global week they told me the week i was looking at in the resale market would also go global through the grandfather system i beleaved the works of them, guess what? after i purchached the resale week they all ganged up on me and denided it.my advice is carry a taperecorder or get it in writing , what can you do when you have little proof, not one of them put a note in my file. why?

Brian W.
Feb 01, 2008

lee144 wrote:
markf140 wrote:

I have a points account and a weeks account with RCI. They will let me deposit one of my weeks in the weeks account and then allow me to convert the week to points and move them into my points account. In order to do this you would have to buy some type of points timeshare.

record everything you do, get it in writing make shure the supervisor is aware get it in writing if something goes wrong they will deny everything.

Brian W.
Mar 11, 2008

brianw203 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
markf140 wrote:

record everything you do, get it in writing make shure the supervisor is aware get it in writing if something goes wrong they will deny everything.

I am an owner for 20+ years, which I'm seeing now just isn't that special. I am SO glad you guys all are on here, and I'm glad you're smart. Good grief. We came close to giving them more money! In-laws were in for the scam the previous week, and had the identical 2 party close tactic. the first one tells you about the 2 options (the only two is what they tell you) to buy another unit, etc. to upgrade to Global Access. Con man 2 comes in to tell you, "I'm sure they told you about the upgrade option for $3,995?" Suckers like us reply "No." I won't give you the script, but we both experienced on several occasions. I confronted him later that afternoon, and I got, "What can I tell you? That's the way we do it." So, we bought nothing. We aren't overly excited with RCI as both weeks and points owners. The idea of getting more points to trade through Global ACcess does sound appealing. It would be great if they had a fee to simply join Global Access. They wouldn't be able to fund then all the additional construction projects. Worse experience we've had at OLCC. Ended up like others on here just wanting to sell the whole thing -then realized that it's not that easy.

Kathy G.
Mar 11, 2008

kathyg197 wrote:
brianw203 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
markf140 wrote:

I am an owner for 20+ years, which I'm seeing now just isn't that special. I am SO glad you guys all are on here, and I'm glad you're smart. Good grief. We came close to giving them more money! In-laws were in for the scam the previous week, and had the identical 2 party close tactic. the first one tells you about the 2 options (the only two is what they tell you) to buy another unit, etc. to upgrade to Global Access. Con man 2 comes in to tell you, "I'm sure they told you about the upgrade option for $3,995?" Suckers like us reply "No." I won't give you the script, but we both experienced on several occasions. I confronted him later that afternoon, and I got, "What can I tell you? That's the way we do it." So, we bought nothing. We aren't overly excited with RCI as both weeks and points owners. The idea of getting more points to trade through Global ACcess does sound appealing. It would be great if they had a fee to simply join Global Access. They wouldn't be able to fund then all the additional construction projects. Worse experience we've had at OLCC. Ended up like others on here just wanting to sell the whole thing -then realized that it's not that easy.

I thought that you can join Global Access without buying additional points . I was told about a year ago that I could take one of my fixed week units and convert it to Global Access points for $1,250. They wanted me to pay more for more points, but that was not required at the time

Lee S.
Apr 03, 2008

We bought 2 Bd unit in River Island last year and used it for the first time this year. At the "Owners Orientation" which was a sales pitch for another unit, they want to sell me a week in the Ascutny VT resort, every other year, for about $20,000, which would have bumped me up to a VIP status (500,000) points. This means I would have the 300,000 points available every other year, but they would count as the full 300,000 points towards my "status" in Global Access and Orange Lake. I was told this was a bargain because the unit I paid $25,000 for last year (w/ Global membership) was now going for over $38,000 (a 50% increase in one year...in this economy) and initially said yes, but had to get the kids back to the pool so I would have to return to sign the papers. In the meantime I encountered a guy at the pool who bought the day before for $1000 less than I paid a year earlier. I was pissed and called off the deal...which made the sales women pissed.

In the meantime, I called their 800 number and was told that if I bought a unit on the open market (like through this web site), I would have to buy another unit _though Orange Lake_ to convert the 'open market' unit to points (!?!?!?!?). At no time was I offered to pay to upgrade the unit to points. What I was offered was the opportunity to buy an every-other-year-deal in Panama City for $11,000 (giving me 153,000 additional points). I said I would think about it. I was called back two days later...the price had dropped to $9,100 + they'd pay closing costs ($800) + they'd throw in a "maintenance incentive" of $400.

So far I have not done anything. It's all a little weird.

Bill C.
Apr 03, 2008

I don't understand the point system, but, why would anyone buy points when they spend so much to buy a timeshare, it doesns't make sense to me. Just deposit your week or weeks with RCI or whatever vacation club you belong to.

Pamela T.
Apr 04, 2008

Just another way for the sales weasals to rob owners of more money. They still trade your week through RCI so why pay more for a 3rd party to manage something you have managed yourself all this time? Besides if you bought Orange Lake today resale you would pay only between $3000-5000 for a 2 bedroom. If you want points purchase with a program already in place resale for between $1500-$2500 (even less if you purchase on Ebay)

Lanita P.

Last edited by lanitap on Apr 04, 2008 12:57 PM

Apr 05, 2008

billc196 wrote:
We bought 2 Bd unit in River Island last year and used it for the first time this year. At the "Owners Orientation" which was a sales pitch for another unit, they want to sell me a week in the Ascutny VT resort, every other year, for about $20,000, which would have bumped me up to a VIP status (500,000) points. This means I would have the 300,000 points available every other year, but they would count as the full 300,000 points towards my "status" in Global Access and Orange Lake. I was told this was a bargain because the unit I paid $25,000 for last year (w/ Global membership) was now going for over $38,000 (a 50% increase in one year...in this economy) and initially said yes, but had to get the kids back to the pool so I would have to return to sign the papers. In the meantime I encountered a guy at the pool who bought the day before for $1000 less than I paid a year earlier. I was pissed and called off the deal...which made the sales women pissed.

In the meantime, I called their 800 number and was told that if I bought a unit on the open market (like through this web site), I would have to buy another unit _though Orange Lake_ to convert the 'open market' unit to points (!?!?!?!?). At no time was I offered to pay to upgrade the unit to points. What I was offered was the opportunity to buy an every-other-year-deal in Panama City for $11,000 (giving me 153,000 additional points). I said I would think about it. I was called back two days later...the price had dropped to $9,100 + they'd pay closing costs ($800) + they'd throw in a "maintenance incentive" of $400.

So far I have not done anything. It's all a little weird.

get all things said in wrighting,when i through orange lake they made everything sound so good but guess what?No one had anything in writing and they denyed all.

Brian W.
Apr 05, 2008

markf140 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Hi.

I tryed to go global after buying a extra week on the resale market,. When ii was going through the procedure they said everything was a go, after everything was in my name they denyed saying that. Even today when you ask them the very same Question they will tell you you can pay a conversion fee. After they con you in they sell you a upgrade package for over $10,000.

Brian W.
Apr 06, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a "week 12" vacation at Orange Lake. (We are owners of a 2bed/2bath). We were constantly pestered to attend an "owners" update meeting at the "beautiful" Founders Club. Apparently this was supposed to whet our appetite. My husband felt we should find out what provisions have been made for future development etc. etc. I wish to stress that the "meeting" was billed as an informative session for owners. We were appalled to find ourselves in yet another fairly high pressure timeshare presentation. On top of the scam like tactics to get us there (other couples at the meeting felt as we did and were expecting an Orange Lake rep to address us as a group.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO such luck.) It is unconscionable that years of ownership counted for nothing and we were treated as though we were coming off the street for a presentation. All for a whopping $60.00 cash! Most presentations pay at least a $100.00. Oh, yes we did have to tour the new units and the penthouse!! What really infuriates us is the new "levels" of membership. Which is a bit of a pyramid scheme in some ways.... as a regular old weeks member (as we have been for years) it turns out we aren't as valued an owner as we once were. You see the deal is: the more weeks you own, converted to global access points, the more privileges and perks you are entitled to. For example golf benefits, village upgrades, restaurant upgrades etc. So now we have different levels of ownership. Great! I'm embarrassed to say we actually bought into the Global Access Points system before they discontinued allowing owners to upgrade by buying another week. It seemed as though it was a good option as it was billed as an incentive price point that would be going up and was being offered at an introductory price to "get members on board". The real dilemma for us was the whole points system offering greater flexibility because so many point resorts wouldn't trade with weeks owners. We were convinced by repeated guarantees that converting our week to points would absolutely guarantee us a greater pool of properties and the fee to switch to a different week at OL would be done internally for only $40.00 as opposed to the over 4 X fee RCI charged. We are still scratching our heads over whether that move was worthwhile. The fee we paid to convert was approx. $2000. I would like to add that when we asked the sales woman at our meeting and the "closer" what about the members who were grandfathered into Global they absolutely denied that happened and said any owner who says otherwise is a liar. So there you go.. We were very thankful we backed out of a purchase for a unit in the new River Island village. The crowd in that area was unbelievable, by 10 am there was not a chair to be had. I can't imagine paying the price of the RI units and not being able to even find a chair, especially for families with young children. This may be somewhat alleviated upon completion of the pool at the West Village as many were owners (as we are, from the west village). All in all we have to say we have found a distinct shift in attitude in the last couple of years.. OL is not the same as it once was. Long time owners consistently expressed this opinion to us over the week we were on site.

Suzanne S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.