Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

"Giving timeshare away"

Dec 09, 2008

A previous posting asked what happens when you stop paying your dues and indicated that the couldn't give the timeshare away.

I understand that a business called Donate for a Cause does accept timeshare donations and then sells them. I have seen eBay listings by Donate for a Cause.

Has anyone had experience with them?

Rosemary W.
Dec 09, 2008

rosemaryw8 wrote:
I understand that a business called Donate for a Cause does accept timeshare donations and then sells them. I have seen eBay listings by Donate for a Cause.

Has anyone had experience with them?

I did contact them regarding donating a TS, but alas it was not accepted. There is a partial list of timeshares that are not accepted; if your TS is not on the list, that doesn't mean they will accept it for a donation. DFC will do a market analysis to see if it can be sold in short time frame, otherwise they will not accept it. AND all loans, MFs, and special assessments must be up to date. IMO, if you are unable to sell it or give it away, DFC will probably not accept it. It doesn't hurt to contact them and see if they will take your unit. Another member is in the process of donating her TS through the Florida Veterans Association. Maybe she will report back on her progress.

Mike N.
Dec 09, 2008

Mike's input above is exactly correct. Elaborating a bit further, the decision on whether or not Donate for a Cause accepts a timeshare offer is actually made on their behalf by Resort Closings, Inc. of Bozeman, Montana. Resort Closings, Inc. rejects far more offers than they accept and, in the current economic climate, I'm sure that's even more so. Keep in mind that a charity only wants a timeshare which they believe they can turn around quickly for some cash for their cause. They don't just want to take an albatross timeshare from around someone's neck, just to place it around their own neck instead. It's cash they want --- not timeshare ownerships.

In the Florida Veteran's Assistance operation, *IF* they will accept your offer, you will still have to pay them about $450 "out of pocket" toward the administrative/ closing/ recording fees. If they'll take it and you really want to be rid of it, that may be money well spent...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 09, 2008 02:18 PM

Dec 09, 2008

Many of these donation companies that do take your timeshare do not change the deed until sold.

Many owners think they are free of the bills to find later the timeshare is still theirs.

Many of these companies from what I have read only want timeshares that they can sell in less than four weeks or it is return to you. If this is true then you might sell it yourself.

Go on Tug.com and list it for a $1.00 on the bargan basement section.

I found one couple weeks ago that a Redweek member wants $7500 and the same size unit on Tug for $300 and MF already paid for 2009 and buyer doesn't need to pay this to owner.

It never hurts to look around before giving your money away.

Right now there are some great deals out there unless your looking for a very good timeshare and even some of those fall between the cracks.

I see Redweek now has a new bargan basement section plus they made it easy to see new rental/sales ads!

Good Job Redweek!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Dec 09, 2008 07:58 PM

Feb 12, 2021

I have a timeshare I would like to give away free to anyone that wants it and just pay maintenance on it. Grand Pacific Palisade resort, I will pay for deed change. This is a lifetime land deed. two bedroom week. I am not sure how to find a buyer

Misty D.
Feb 12, 2021

Get in line. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of owners wanting out . The first step is to contact your resort and see if they will take it back . I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 that way . If they agree it will be quick and inexpensive . They may want an additionally years maintenance fees to give them time to find a new owner . A small price to pay to be rid of your obligation . If they deny you the deed back then advertise it on this site and other sites . . You have to make the effort . Nobody is going to come looking for your timeshare . I made it my priority to get rid of them and I've been free for ten years now . I still own one timeshare in Las Vegas that I love and go to all the time .

Don P.
Feb 12, 2021

Misty: You can go to this page to find out more information on selling or giving away your timeshare on our website: Timeshare Resales

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Feb 12, 2021

In addition to Don P's suggestion about contacting the resort, you should mention that you are not going to pay any more money in maintenance fees so it would be best for all if the resort (actually the resort's Homeowners' Association) took it back now amicably rather than the resort having to go through the rigorous process and expense of foreclosure. And be ready to follow through on your threat if the resort does not agree.

Lance C.
Mar 05, 2021

I gave one timeshare away several years ago. I paid all costs of transfer and attorney fees. Finding an attorney to do it without gouging was the hard part. It really wasn't easy finding a taker, either.

GrammaWa
Mar 06, 2021

marianw wrote:
I gave one timeshare away several years ago. I paid all costs of transfer and attorney fees. Finding an attorney to do it without gouging was the hard part. It really wasn't easy finding a taker, either.

It is almost NEVER necessary to use (or to pay) an attorney just to transfer the ownership of a timeshare. Once you find a willing new recipient (which can be the tough part), there are transfer companies that will prepare and record a new deed (and will also notify the resort of the ownership change after the new deed is officially recorded) for around $200 (in 2021) in total cost. Legal Timeshare Transfers (located in Georgia) is one entity that comes to mind and it's one which I have personally and successfully used numerous times in recent years as both "grantor" and "grantee".

For the record, I have no affiliation of any kind with Legal Timeshare Transfers other than being a satisfied customer who has used their services multiple times in recent years (and who will very likely do so again in the future).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 11, 2023 01:58 PM

Jul 11, 2023

Hello, when you said you love your timeshare in Las Vegas, what one do you own?

Jeremiah J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.