Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Looking to buy Wyndham points through RedWeek resale

Dec 17, 2023

We own Shell Vacations Club, which is now part of Wyndham. We recently went to a presentation for Wyndham, and we are interested in buying into Wyndham. The cost per point in the resale market is a fraction of what you would be through the normal retail channel. What are the differences between buying right from Wyndham vs. buying through Red Week? I know there is a VIP program that allows for things like free upgrades, point discounts, etc.

We are trying to understand the difference between both. Even if you don't get the VIP benefits, the cost of the points on resale are a fraction of what they are through retail. Before we purchase, it would be great if some of the experienced and knowledgable people here help us better understand the pro's and con's and the things to look for and stay away from.

Lawrence S.
Dec 23, 2023

Buying resale is the way to go. The key to enjoying Wyndham ownership is knowing how to manage your points. you do not need VIP to enjoy the ownership.

Wyndham timeshares purchased on the resale market do not have access to VIP membership. Those purchasing a resale may use the point system in the very same way as those purchasing from the developer, with the exception that their points do not count towards VIP status.

Reservations at the home property can be made as early as 13 months in advance of arrival, and reservations throughout Wyndham’s other resorts can be made 10 months to 91 days prior to arrival. The number of points needed to make a reservation depends on the resort, season and residence type.

Your resale purchase will include an RCI membership You can deposit your Club Wyndham points into RCI Once deposited, your points will be good for two years of travel from the date of deposit.

Smitty

Last edited by deweys5 on Dec 23, 2023 03:43 PM

Jan 28, 2024

Buy resale - I would GIVE you mine, but we're in a fight with Wyndham right now. The sales person sold us a contract we can't used based on lies! If you buy resale, you miss out on the sales person's lies and unkept promies!!! The Wyndham website might answer your questions, and some of the travel agents are very helpful. Our RCI membership was added to our maintenance fees. I was told by a Wyndham sales person if I sold my Gold contract, the buyer would have the same benefits I did. But I would want to TRIPLE CHECK on that!!.

Verna M.
Jan 29, 2024

verna26 wrote:
Buy resale - I would GIVE you mine, but we're in a fight with Wyndham right now. The sales person sold us a contract we can't used based on lies! If you buy resale, you miss out on the sales person's lies and unkept promies!!! The Wyndham website might answer your questions, and some of the travel agents are very helpful. Our RCI membership was added to our maintenance fees. I was told by a Wyndham sales person if I sold my Gold contract, the buyer would have the same benefits I did. But I would want to TRIPLE CHECK on that!!.

This post prompts me to offer folks a reminder that NOTHING a timeshare developer sales hyena expresses orally has any legal meaning whatsoever --- and they certainly know that. Whatever they say is really just meaningless noise floating around temporarily in the air. They can (and they do) feel free to lie, misrepresent and obfuscate at will because they know that only what is expressed in writing within the four corners of the contract is in any way legally binding. In fact, most contracts even state exactly this in writing somewhere within the contract itself! Does this stink? Yes indeed --- but it is nonetheless a fact.

Westgate and Wyndham sales hyenas are often called out as being the worst U.S. offenders in this regard (as well as virtually ALL Mexican timeshare sales operations).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 29, 2024 06:52 AM

Apr 03, 2024

I understand Platinum has many benefits ? does it affect an RCI points deposit ?

A.T. K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.