Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Welk Resort - Purchased 300,000 points for 18 months - $2,295 - Good or Bad Deal?

Jul 20, 2015

Hello All,

Let me start off by saying I am new to the Timeshare world. I'd like to get some advice and find out if I made a good purchase or if I should cancel, I have a 7 day window.

I went in to the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA because they were giving away tickets to Hawaii for stopping by and doing a 90 minute tour. I knew they were going to try and sell me on stuff but I also knew purchasing a time share for $10k-$20k is not in my current budget... I just wanted the 2 free tickets to Hawaii. As the meeting went on and they kept coming up with alternative options to accommodate my rejections and eventually the package and the price started to look do-able.

For $2,295 (no other fees) I ended up getting this:

- 300,000 points for 18 months - must use all points within the 18 months. They can transfer if I become and owner or they simply disappear.

- 2 Dream Weeks - I believe this is for $280 I can get resort accommodations for a week.

- Dinner & Theater Package - buy a dinner / theater, next one is free

- $150 Visa Gift Card

- Bonus Days - I can stay at a suite for $175 a night anytime - or let a friend use it.

Freebies for showing up:

- 2 tickets and 2 night stay in Honolulu (I will extend it to a week stay and pay out of pocket)

- x2 - Wine tasting tickets - 6 tasting each for 2 people and a bottle of wine

From what I see, the Welk Resort in San Diego is 12,000 point a night Sunday - Thursday and the Lake Tahoe Welk is 9,000 a night Sunday - Thursday.

So I could milk the 300,000 point and get 25 nights if I use the San Diego location and 33 nights if I use the Lake Tahoe location only.

This makes San Diego resort $91 a night and Lake Tahoe $70 a night.

Like I said, I went into this not planning on purchasing anything, just wanted to score some free tickets to Honolulu (and I did). After running the numbers and the cost of staying there per night it seems like a good price. But I would like to know what the more experienced users think of this package.

Please let me know your thoughts, is it a good package, or bad and I should cancel right away? BTW I won't lose my Hawaii tickets or the 2 wine tastings if I cancel.

Joe A.

Last edited by joea301 on Jul 20, 2015 02:53 PM

Jul 20, 2015

I would cancel immediately before the rescission period expires. If you decide to rescind then follow the instructions to the letter. These offers that are too good to be true are exactly that " too good to be true ". They promise you the world and then when you go to use your vacation it's never available. Read through the threads in the forum and you will see they lies they tell you to get your money. NEVER buy anything from the company. It's always way over priced. Look at all the listing for places to rent. You can find something cheaper that someone wants to rent at this site or others.

Don P.
Feb 21, 2016

ok, now its been over 6 months. what did you do? would really like to know how this is coming out. a valuable thread here if you don't mind. thanks in advance. dean

Dean P.
Feb 21, 2016

Since the OP never posted back, my guess is he hasn't been back to check on the forums lately. Do you want to know because you are in the same position and are in the rescind period now?

Tracey S.
Feb 21, 2016

they are offering us Platinum Points with no more maintenance fees for a paid (1993) Escondido timeshare. The call is tomorrow night, but presumably there is some number of points we get annually.

Dean P.
Feb 22, 2016

The OP was paying for an Explorer type package for a one time purchase of points and then would have to come back after trying the points for another (high pressure) timeshare.

It sounds like someone is trying to sell you a resale TS over the phone. There would be annual MF's. Unless you are really familiar with the ins and outs of a system, I wouldn't recommend buying.

Tracey S.
Jan 28, 2018

Ok,

So I'm going to one off these time shares at the Welk Resort next week in Escondido. For going im 2 tickets to Honolulu, 2 tickets for a 2 hr cruise in Diego and 2 tickets to the wine tastings. Ibget those just to coming to see the time share. I don't know much about TS's and I have no problem at just saying NO.

But I've heard of people having really cool deals and good vacations because they have a timeshare. Now I'm thinking I wouldn't mind getting a timeshare but I would like to get a good share. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should ask for or where I should go to buy a good TS?

Nerd H.
Jan 28, 2018

NEVER buy from a presentation !!! Go enjoy the food and drink they give but say NO after your required time is up . Ask for your gifts and say you want to leave . They will then bring over the big guns to pressure you into buying . Don't give in.... stand your ground . They will continue to try to get you to buy and probably make you feel guilty that they are giving you something for not buying their over priced product .

Time is on their side , They intend to keep you there as long as possible to wear you down . They will play one party against the other to get you to buy . They are very good at what they do . After all they are selling a product that is virtually worthless on the resale market once you walk out the door .

Since you committed yourself to the dreaded timeshare presentation make the best of it . Eat lots of food and drink their free beverages because your in for a high pressure sales presentation .

Don P.
Jan 28, 2018

As Don mentioned.............NO NEED TO GO TO THE DOG AND PONY SHOW, anything they promised to get you there will probably NOT be entirely as advertised. There will be stipulations, conditions, certain dates, that gets them around them giving you what you THINK they are saying they will give you. Save your time, money(transportation, etc) go see a movie or have nice meal. Welk I believe is a points/right to use(RTU) 30,000 points aren't going to get you much as far as a unit. Therefore the push to get you to buy more points. If you are truly serious rent a week from the those advertised here and other sites such as TUG. Pick one that you would go back to yr. after yr., one you could rent when not in use. Key to it all is, buy re-sale, buy one that everyone else would to be there, but NEVER.......EVER......THINK you can make money by selling it when you are tired of endlessly rising MF's, and your just not interested any more.

William P.
Jan 28, 2018

I'll echo what Don P. said. Just remember, if you do somehow cave in and buy, you have an opportunity to rescind. Just remember, they likely will not dismiss you with your gift at the agreed-upon time (90 minutes?), so be prepared for a long, drawn-out presentation.

Lance C.
Jan 28, 2018

Yes Don't buy. They will wear you down. Just stand up and ask for your tickets or what ever. You can not believe how much pressure you will be under. The longer you stat the worse it gets.

Monroe C.
Jan 28, 2018

Thank you everyone. I will not buy and will likely rent one off this site. I will still go and get the gifts, I habe nothing better to do that day and I can be harass myself and will be sure to get my gifts, and muy $50 deposit.

I want to thank everyone again for taking the time to guide me in the right direction.

Best Regards,

Peter Junior

Nerd H.
Jun 13, 2018

Please call me

Helioebabol@msn.com

Helio A.
Mar 05, 2020

Hi Joe Just perusing posts about Welk Resorts as we own a lot of points there. Wondering how your situation turned out. Thanks! Joy

joea301 wrote:
Hello All,

Let me start off by saying I am new to the Timeshare world. I'd like to get some advice and find out if I made a good purchase or if I should cancel, I have a 7 day window.

I went in to the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA because they were giving away tickets to Hawaii for stopping by and doing a 90 minute tour. I knew they were going to try and sell me on stuff but I also knew purchasing a time share for $10k-$20k is not in my current budget... I just wanted the 2 free tickets to Hawaii. As the meeting went on and they kept coming up with alternative options to accommodate my rejections and eventually the package and the price started to look do-able.

For $2,295 (no other fees) I ended up getting this:

- 300,000 points for 18 months - must use all points within the 18 months. They can transfer if I become and owner or they simply disappear.

- 2 Dream Weeks - I believe this is for $280 I can get resort accommodations for a week.

- Dinner & Theater Package - buy a dinner / theater, next one is free

- $150 Visa Gift Card

- Bonus Days - I can stay at a suite for $175 a night anytime - or let a friend use it.

Freebies for showing up:

- 2 tickets and 2 night stay in Honolulu (I will extend it to a week stay and pay out of pocket)

- x2 - Wine tasting tickets - 6 tasting each for 2 people and a bottle of wine

From what I see, the Welk Resort in San Diego is 12,000 point a night Sunday - Thursday and the Lake Tahoe Welk is 9,000 a night Sunday - Thursday.

So I could milk the 300,000 point and get 25 nights if I use the San Diego location and 33 nights if I use the Lake Tahoe location only.

This makes San Diego resort $91 a night and Lake Tahoe $70 a night.

Like I said, I went into this not planning on purchasing anything, just wanted to score some free tickets to Honolulu (and I did). After running the numbers and the cost of staying there per night it seems like a good price. But I would like to know what the more experienced users think of this package.

Please let me know your thoughts, is it a good package, or bad and I should cancel right away? BTW I won't lose my Hawaii tickets or the 2 wine tastings if I cancel.

Joy L.

Last edited by phyl21 on Mar 05, 2020 07:12 PM

Apr 28, 2020

Beware Welk Resorts uses high pressure sales techniques to push people into expensive time shares with high APRs. Very unorganized and uncomfortable setting. If the sales person can’t push you into a sale, they will have two sales managers come to the table to try and pressure you into a sale. If they can’t push a sale onto you you then go to an exit sales presentation where they again try and push you into a sale. If you sign with them, you get a special stamp on your “free” Hawaii vacation giving you priority. If you don’t sign with them, you basically have no chance of successfully setting up a Hawaii vacation.

Candus B.
Apr 29, 2020

candusb3 wrote:
Beware Welk Resorts uses high pressure sales techniques to push people into expensive time shares with high APRs. Very unorganized and uncomfortable setting. If the sales person can’t push you into a sale, they will have two sales managers come to the table to try and pressure you into a sale. If they can’t push a sale onto you you then go to an exit sales presentation where they again try and push you into a sale.

It's not just Welk Resorts that uses these ugly techniques. Practically any timeshare sales presentation you go to will use these. Sad but true.

Lance C.
May 13, 2020

I have a question I purchased 120,000 on for Welk Esco. There is a maintenance fee that has already been paid for 2020 and won't be due again til 2022 I am wondering if this is a good deal i am not familiar with the points system. I will be able to have daily use and use the points at a different location if i desire. I would only be paying for the transfer fee. Can anyone tell me there experience with the points system and if this is a good deal Please?

Jessica S.
Mar 31, 2021

Good afternoon everyone, I have to say that most of you here are just ignorant of the facts. Its pretty simple. If you are already vacationing 2 to 3 weeks a year, timeshares or ownership saves you a lot of money. I would bet that no one here that made a comment owns one. There are four types of timeshares, Hospitality, Silver, Gold, and Registry. Hospitality is the bottom and Registry the top. The reason why a lot of people hate their time share is one or all of three reasons. You buy a cheap Hospitality time share thinking is was a gold or registry. Meaning you will never get the quality and location of vacations that you want. You bought a time share that has maintenance fees and not VOA fees. You bought a time share that you don't use! Welk Resorts is a GOLD and REGISTRY level ownership and has VOA fees.

Maintenance fees are used by 98% of the time share industry. Welk Resorts use VOA fees. The difference is maintenance fees are not regulated under state realtor laws. So, they can charge you what ever they want and raise them when ever they want. VOA ( vacation owners association ) is just like HOA. It must abide by the rules and the laws of the state realtors association. A VOA just like a HOA can not be used for profit. A VOA is only used for the maintenance of the property, activities, insurance, and improvements. Anyone that owns a home knows that HOA's go up when property taxes go up. The same is true with VOA's.

I bought a Welk Resorts ownership 10 years ago for $7500, VOA fees of $664 a year. They are now 4 to 5 times more for the same amount of points. When I bought mine Welk Resorts did not have Cabo, Tahoe, Colorado, the Experiences Collection by Welk ( which includes 14 more locations like Maui and Disney world to name a few ), and a Platinum RCI program with free bonus weeks. I got it all for $0!!!! Cause I am already an owner. I go one 4 weeks of vacation a year all around the world at resorts that cost anywhere from $500 to $8000 a night. Two, three, four bedroom Villas. All it costs me is an exchange fee of $239 a week and a VOA of $108 a month. I also get a free bonus week from RCI for every exchange I do through them!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, when I die from vacationing everywhere I can "will it" to my kids.

If you want to rent your vacations and pay $200 a night for a tiny room and $450 for the same tiny room 8 years from now, go ahead!

Ray R.
Mar 31, 2021

Well, I'm glad your purchase is working out well for you. And you're right, there are reasons why many timeshare owners are not happy with their units. It's usually because they bought at one of those sales presentations under high pressure and signing in the dotted line when they were mentally exhausted and just could not think straight.

I just take issue with your assessment that "you...rent your vacations and pay $200 a night for a tiny room and $450 for the same tiny room 8 years from now...". There are many decent timeshare rentals and motel/hotel rentals available for far less than $200 per night. And how do you know that that same room will cost $450 per night eight years from now?

Lance C.
Aug 03, 2022

would you guys keep a timeshare if it's been paid off? I got divorced and my wife didn't pay the maintenance fees. i was considering asking her if I could just keep the timeshare. Or should I not get myself into that situation. The time share was under her name when we purchased it. Should I ask to take it over and just keep paying the maintenance fees?

Jose P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.