Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there any EFFECTIVE way to dump a wyndham timeshare...???

May 25, 2019

Lance - I do not know the in's and out's of the detail your asking, however I'am close enough that we did talk about this in detail with my cousins and more so wanted to know more because my girlfriends parents have 4 of them and they are not in such a good spot right now. This is why I got into detail and how to get out of them as they have tried to rent and sell them with no luck for 3 years now. Also, learned that they have perpetuity clause and they NEVER END. When or if something happens to them because of deed there kids will have to take over and each one is about 2500 per year. So they can't sell it, they can't rent and even went back to the resort and they basically say sorry. What exactly would you suggest they do? All Seriousness...They do know what my cousins did and results and they are now looking at this option as they have spent 30K in the last 3 years just in Maint. and keep going up! Plus numerous other fee's to try and sell and rent that was another 1900. Again, To me the only viable option i see for them is an exit company...I actually contacted another one called Wesley Financial group and received there packet for them as they believe I'm somewhat knowledgeable about them. As far as why I'm here is we are going to Hawaii and even spending time at one of cousins resorts it was nice to say the least and with this looking at time share resorts to stay in.

I do look forward to any other option you may have, which I don't believe exist at this point, but welcome it for sure. If not Those UPFRONT Fee's are getting paid to get them out. Please enlighten to another option. Many thanks!

Jeff F.
May 25, 2019

Very nice write up!

Jeff F.
May 25, 2019

jefff382 wrote:
my girlfriends parents have 4 of them and they are not in such a good spot right now.

When or if something happens to them because of deed there kids will have to take over and each one...

What exactly would you suggest they do?

To me the only viable option i see for them is an exit company...I actually contacted another one called Wesley Financial group

I do look forward to any other option you may have, which I don't believe exist at this point, but welcome it for sure.

A few things here. First, if something happens to your girlfriend's parents, their kids are not responsible for the timeshares. That is a huge myth that these exit companies try to scare people with. No one is forced to accept an unwanted timeshare.

Secondly, I suggest you search these forums for threads about Wesley financial Group. They have been little more than a scam. You can also check out threads of Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) and read threads about WFG and other exit companies.

As for any other "exit", "cancel" or "relief" company the story is all the same with them. If they are legit (which very few are), they will charge clients like your girlfriend's parents thousands of dollars to do something they can do themselves. If your GF's parents want to get rid of their units, here are a few suggestions.

Are the maintenance fees up to date and the mortgages paid off? If not, then there will be challenges getting rid of these that no exit company can help with. If they are paid off, then these parents have a couple of options. First, contact the resort's Homeowners' Association (preferably in writing) and explain the situation. Say that they will not be paying any more maintenance fees and that it would be in everyone's best interests for the HOA to take the unit back amicably. The HOA might ask your GF's parents to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee, but this will be a lot cheaper than paying any of these exit companies.

Another option would be to just stop paying maintenance fees altogether but then your GF's parents would possibly face a credit hit and a host of annoying collection calls and letters. Eventually, the resort's HOA will foreclose and repossess.

Also, they can try listing their unit(s) for give away here on RedWeek in the Bargain Basement section. They can also list it on sites such as E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, or TUG. TUG has a Bargain Deals section that allows owners to list for free that they want to give their units away. They can offer to pay the closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. Again, this will work out cheaper than paying any of these exit companies.

Lance C.
May 28, 2019

First off, thanks for your notes!

Please elaborate on how does it not go on their kids, when its a deed and its attached to their estate? According to the attorney it is what they said. Please explain.

Noted on WFG.

All of them are paid off and have been for years. No Mortgage All Fee's are current 100%

Only we have not done is in writing send a letter, however have called numerous times with ZERO Luck they are fully aware.

As stated before we have tried to sell them, give them away even and offer to pay transfer fee for 3 years. This has cost over 30K, Maint. Fee's, listing fee's and such.

Not paying is not an option simply due to pride/Credit to the point of forcing foreclosure and think this is a poor way to handle this.

Its just shady.

Understanding a couple more options and many thanks for that.

Here is my take away to this point...If it was not this difficult then this conversation would not exist, I do see very popular and lower cost Time Shares sell a bit more than others not much if any anymore, yes some, but way less that do not and also see some rent, but back to the difficulty of getting rid of one like you post a car for free its gone that simple for free..There is the GOTCHA on time shares...Time Shares just simply are not. Why is that? Because they the time share companies make it extremely difficult to get out if at all. More I think simply over time that Time Share values do not exist anymore. Why, because of the readily available options you can get on the internet. Simply access to information.

With that said, I do believe Exit/Termination companies would not exist if all this was not so hard. I see value in what they do in not having to ruin credit or waste 30K+ in the past 3 years in trying to rent or sell and to me renting is a very short term approach on renting and does not resolve getting rid of them if and when you want to. The value to exit to me is they get rid of it and no more of this other stuff and more time passing. With that said, I did reach out to the family attorney about this and even he would charge into the thousands all based on time of course with a retainer starting out at$1500 and he will attempt to, but no guarantee's. With this I believe most of the options out there and 30k+ wasted and three years of trying to deal with it, That's either Platinum or WFG and have both at a price of $2250 each with this resort and location and all current and nothing owed to get rid of them and a guarantee and no more listing, waiting, haggling or anything..Its done and over with. This is all less than what the Maint. Fee's will be and they are now doing the work. Noted on WFG though.

lancec13 wrote:
jefff382 wrote:
my girlfriends parents have 4 of them and they are not in such a good spot right now.

When or if something happens to them because of deed there kids will have to take over and each one...

What exactly would you suggest they do?

To me the only viable option i see for them is an exit company...I actually contacted another one called Wesley Financial group

I do look forward to any other option you may have, which I don't believe exist at this point, but welcome it for sure.

A few things here. First, if something happens to your girlfriend's parents, their kids are not responsible for the timeshares. That is a huge myth that these exit companies try to scare people with. No one is forced to accept an unwanted timeshare.

Secondly, I suggest you search these forums for threads about Wesley financial Group. They have been little more than a scam. You can also check out threads of Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com) and read threads about WFG and other exit companies.

As for any other "exit", "cancel" or "relief" company the story is all the same with them. If they are legit (which very few are), they will charge clients like your girlfriend's parents thousands of dollars to do something they can do themselves. If your GF's parents want to get rid of their units, here are a few suggestions.

Are the maintenance fees up to date and the mortgages paid off? If not, then there will be challenges getting rid of these that no exit company can help with. If they are paid off, then these parents have a couple of options. First, contact the resort's Homeowners' Association (preferably in writing) and explain the situation. Say that they will not be paying any more maintenance fees and that it would be in everyone's best interests for the HOA to take the unit back amicably. The HOA might ask your GF's parents to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee, but this will be a lot cheaper than paying any of these exit companies.

Another option would be to just stop paying maintenance fees altogether but then your GF's parents would possibly face a credit hit and a host of annoying collection calls and letters. Eventually, the resort's HOA will foreclose and repossess.

Also, they can try listing their unit(s) for give away here on RedWeek in the Bargain Basement section. They can also list it on sites such as E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, or TUG. TUG has a Bargain Deals section that allows owners to list for free that they want to give their units away. They can offer to pay the closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. Again, this will work out cheaper than paying any of these exit companies.

Jeff F.
May 28, 2019

Anyone stupid enough to give money to the SCAMMERS deserves to lose their hard earned money . The way you spot a SCAMMER is their boldness when confronted about their SCAM . The other telltale sign is they rant on and on about their SCAM . They try to baffle you with BS . They also use scare tactics like claiming that your children will inherit your timeshare - FALSE !!! No one can force anyone to accept a debt or obligation they didn't incur !!!

I'm actually tired of trying to save people from becoming victims . Let them lose their hard earned money and then come back to the forum crying about being SCAMMED !!!

What do you know about these people that claim they can get you out of your contract . Do you know their real names ? Do you know their criminal history ? They could be operating out of a foreign country for all you know but you are willing to give them THOUSANDS of dollars because they told you so . I have more respect for my money . I worked hard for it .

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on May 28, 2019 03:29 PM

May 29, 2019

An individual can do what any exit company can do. However, some members do not have the time or patience to self-advocate. Whatever you do, do not consider retaining an attorney with no timeshare experience. It has been my experience they do more harm than good. They get paid, flounder, then refer the member to our volunteers. We help. The attorney gets paid. We don't. It gets annoying. An individual can send their own cease and desist letter, take steps to repair credit, petition credit agencies on their own. It has been my experience after following 835 timeshare complaints, two extremes are in a good position. One is the person with a terrible credit score because one more foreclosure doesn't matter. The other is the person with an 800 or so credit score blemish free except for a timeshare they had no choice but to foreclose if they were sold by fraud and given there is no secondary market. I have had mortgage brokers call me. When I provide them with the list of lawsuits, AG investigations, BBB complaints, in every case they have not held the timeshare foreclosure against the borrower.

Irene P.
May 29, 2019

jefff382 wrote:
Please elaborate on how does it not go on their kids, when its a deed and its attached to their estate? All of them are paid off and have been for years. No Mortgage All Fees are current 100%

As stated before we have tried to sell them, give them away even and offer to pay transfer fee for 3 years. This has cost over 30K, Maint. Fee's, listing fee's and such.

With that said, I do believe Exit/Termination companies would not exist if all this was not so hard. I see value in what they do in not having to ruin credit or waste 30K+ in the past 3 years in trying to rent or sell and to me renting is a very short term approach on renting and does not resolve getting rid of them if and when you want to. The value to exit to me is they get rid of it and no more of this other stuff and more time passing.

I repeat. No one is forced to accept an unwanted timeshare. The estate might still be responsible for it but the heirs are not forced to accept it.

Also, if the mortgage is paid up as well as the maintenance fees, then some resorts will accept units back if the owner agrees to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee. That, I repeat, will still be less than what these exit companies charge.

There is also the option on TUG's Bargain Deals section. Has that been tried?

And I repeat this question that still hasn't been answered. What can these exit companies do for owners that owners can't do for themselves? These exit companies will do one of a number of things to get a new owner for the unit. One, negotiate with the resort to take the unit back. Two, use the viking ship method. Three, try to sell or give it away. Or four, tell the owners to stop paying which will eventually lead to foreclosure.

Lance C.
May 31, 2019

Lance, I used to agree with you until I listened to 836 timeshare members, mostly overwhelmed and desperate. I help as many as I can for free (30 to 50 per month) along with our team of volunteers, but there are thousands and thousands contacting exit companies.

One thing I know for sure is that many members have no clue how to proceed. I have donated my content to a nonprofit called Straight-A Guide that has launched just this week a self-advocacy manual 22,000 words state specific, with instructions on how to compose a complaint, file with the BBB, AGs and Real Estate Division, reach out to the media, accompanied by webinars and podcasts. I used to work for Family Court as a CASA supervisor, writing court reports.

Members file with the Nevada AG and California AG and give up when in those states you have to file with the real estate division against the agent. The AG doesn't even accept complaints. It was only because of this past legislative session I got to know four exit companies. They agree, like getting a divorce or selling your home, you can do it yourself. Few people are as lunatic as I am to devote 40 to 50 hours a week helping these people. I have talked to more dementia diagnosed seniors doing this as I did when I served on an Ombudsman board, advocates for patients in nursing home. English as a second language is an obstacle. Thousands of hours went into this Free at Last Manual $1,495 benefiting this nonprofit that helps 100,000 incarcerated prisoners a year. The founder is Michael Santos, interviewed by NPR, and network news. Their platform is very sophisticated and was easily adapted to incorporate what I have learned about timeshare since 2015, having been offered my money back but refusing to sign the NDA.

lancec13 wrote:
jefff382 wrote:
Please elaborate on how does it not go on their kids, when its a deed and its attached to their estate? All of them are paid off and have been for years. No Mortgage All Fees are current 100%

With that said, I do believe Exit/Termination companies would not exist if all this was not so hard. I see value in what they do in not having to ruin credit or waste 30K+ in the past 3 years in trying to rent or sell and to me renting is a very short term approach on renting and does not resolve getting rid of them if and when you want to. The value to exit to me is they get rid of it and no more of this other stuff and more time passing.

I repeat. No one is forced to accept an unwanted timeshare. The estate might still be responsible for it but the heirs are not forced to accept it.

Also, if the mortgage is paid up as well as the maintenance fees, then some resorts will accept units back if the owner agrees to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee. That, I repeat, will still be less than what these exit companies charge.

There is also the option on TUG's Bargain Deals section. Has that been tried?

And I repeat this question that still hasn't been answered. What can these exit companies do for owners that owners can't do for themselves? These exit companies will do one of a number of things to get a new owner for the unit. One, negotiate with the resort to take the unit back. Two, use the viking ship method. Three, try to sell or give it away. Or four, tell the owners to stop paying which will eventually lead to foreclosure.

Irene P.
May 31, 2019

irenep59 wrote:
Lance, I used to agree with you until I listened to 836 timeshare members, mostly overwhelmed and desperate. I help as many as I can for free (30 to 50 per month) along with our team of volunteers, but there are thousands and thousands contacting exit companies.

...file with the BBB, AGs and Real Estate Division, reach out to the media, accompanied by webinars and podcasts. I used to work for Family Court as a CASA supervisor, writing court reports.

It was only because of this past legislative session I got to know four exit companies. They agree, like getting a divorce or selling your home, you can do it yourself. Few people are as lunatic as I am to devote 40 to 50 hours a week helping these people.

Well, I applaud your efforts to help many of these desperate owners but I'll add these tidbits. First of all, filing a complaint with the BBB is next to useless. All a person is doing is venting. The BBB has no authority or power to stop these scams or get owners out of timeshares. All the BBB can really do is discredit a questionable or scam company. It does nothing for the owner filing a complaint.

As for these exit companies, yes you are partially right. They are like divorce lawyers where you pay them to do something you can do yourself. The reasons why I and others come on these boards warning against these exit companies is that many have been scams. They would take owners' money and then do nothing. Just read on these boards about companies like Castle Law Group. And if these exit companies do do something to help, it's sometimes an illegal or questionable method such as what's commonly known as the Viking Ship.

Lastly, if the exit company does help an owner get out of his timeshare legally and ethically, I repeat, the company is charging thousands of dollars to do something the owner can do himself for a lot less money. it just takes a little time and effort. For instance, some have been known to take an owner's unit through Wyndham's Ovation program. Wyndham has that set up so that, among other things, an owner can easily surrender his unit back to Wyndham for minimal cost without having to go through these exit companies. Many other resorts and timeshare companies (Diamond and Westgate come to mind) are allowing owners to surrender their ownership back to the company or resort if the mortgage and maintenance fees are paid up. They might charge closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee, but that will always work out cheaper than using these questionable exit companies.

If some of these owners feel that it is worth it to pay these exit companies thousands of dollars to do what they can do themselves (rather easily, I might add), then that is certainly their prerogative. It's their money. I just come on these boards offering suggestions how to save thousands of dollars and, in the case of some of these exit companies, protecting themselves from scams.

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on May 31, 2019 08:47 PM

May 31, 2019

Lance - I Disagree, and think you might have missed it! Its BEEN THREE YEARS and over 30K+ and have tired everything, but SEND the letter you suggested and however, being on the phone with them countless hours they are VERY WELL Aware! Its no way easy in any fashion as you claim. Not even close to do by yourself and even lady whom does this for free to help out has dealt with countless cases of dementia clients and more so in this case its Alzheimer's. What over 50 per month or week...Dont you get it...This is an issue and not EASY even if she exist, because of this.... Had this decision been made 3 years ago, instead of doing what others say in trying to RENT, SELL, LIST and all the phone calls and now possibly another option of sending a letter. Do you really think sending a single letter and waiting countless other months for this is a resolve. I will beg to differ, wont happen. Its a waste of time and for 2250 is my cost per in MY situation and you say thousands it is not compared to the lost monies in excess of 30K and this is well worth it to be done. Actually I have lost respect for two of you in this group simply because you such an advocate against exit companies and you make it seem simple and can simply prove different. My point was actually tell whom the good ones are instead of saying, DONT PAY, You can do it your self and its easy and its not. Otherwise if it were so easy exits would not exist and we would not be having this conversation and or 30K+ lost. Understand that and let that soak in sir, 30K do you really understand this? Whats easy about that? That's you and Don P. you all pay to get gas up front and just about everything in your life including Red Week and many other services. Please stop saying don't pay up front that's absurd, simply your not being realistic...With the exception of an Exit company, while you pay for Gas a couple times a week up front, but that's ok. I was trying to be productive and really understand, but you two have issues. Not sure why, AGAIN, my point is regardless if it is thousands when you can save thousands and it makes sense. More so quite bashing and tell me whom is good! This is a much more productive option to me in lieu of bashing. If you say don't pay up front, get out of here because we have already established what you pay upfront and that's about everything in your life or mine. SO PLEASE stop with that non sense.

Jeff F.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jun 01, 2019 06:32 AM

Jun 01, 2019

Well if you, your girlfriend's parents, your cousins (or anyone else) want to pay thousands of dollars upfront to a company to do something you can do yourself for a lot less, then that's your money and your prerogative. You and other timeshare owners are free to do what you want with your money. I've just been pointing out that many of these exit companies are scams. It's been well-documented here on RedWeek and you can also check this out on Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG";tugbbs.com). Just peruse through many of these threads about companies like Castle Law Group.

Also, if you check out threads on here and TUG, you will read of many success stories where owners have given their units away to other takers or have successfully used the resorts' and timeshare companies' respective surrender programs to give their units back without the cost or "help" of these exit companies.

I will ask this again which no one seems to be able to answer. What will these exit companies do that an owner cannot do for himself? If the timeshare company or resort says to an owner, "No, we will not take your unit back under any circumstances," then to whom will the exit company transfer ownership of the unit?

So if you want to pay some questionable exit company thousands of dollars to maybe accomplish something that you can do yourself, then that's your money and your risk. However, I will continue to advise people who come on these boards and are looking to shed their units of many other cheaper options so they don't have to waste thousands of dollars.

And by the way, you continue to criticize Don P for giving similar advice. Maybe you missed the dozens of times he has come on here and pointed out that he got rid of some units by simply contacting the resort and telling them that he was going to get rid of these one way or another. The resorts accepted. So that's coming "from the horse's mouth".

Lance C.

Last edited by lancec13 on Jun 02, 2019 04:25 PM

Jun 03, 2019

Lance I had one member get a $50k loan cancelled. Two days later he heard from the BBB a second $50k loan would be cancelled. Another member heard from the BBB their $140,000 loan was to be cancelled. I had her include six other complaints we received against her agent who has been fired after selling $28 million in points. I wish it was always this easy, but the advantage to the BBB is the member can log in and respond to the company rebuttal. The other advantage is Wyndham has over 2,000 BBB complaints, Diamond over 1,000 Bluegreen over 800. People should file BBB complaints to log those numbers. At the very least, compared to Disney with about 100 complaints, numbers matter, and the BBB will post government enforcement updates and a warning as to a pattern of complaints. They have their faults but filing complaints with all agencies is extremely important. I am in contact with several regulators. A national network news producer contacted me recently. Having these complaints on file helps. I talk to members daily. I am in the trenches. You have to be in the trenches one on one to know what is really happening.

Irene P.
Jun 03, 2019

irenep59 wrote:
Another member heard from the BBB their $140,000 loan was to be cancelled.

Wow! Who the **** would take out a $140,000 loan for a timeshare?!?! So basically was this a case of the purchase being rescinded after the rescission period?

Lance C.
Jun 04, 2019

Lance your on auto repeat...If you pay anything upfront then an issue...Again, I will repeat there is nothing you get for credit. Gas, Groceries, Car...I mean very little if at all. Again, and repeat I disagree with this statement and absolutely holds zero merit or even makes sense. Again, what can they do that an owner cant you ask again? Well for one they take care of all the issues and give a time line. Its a service. Of course time and Alzheimer's they cannot do themselves. Get out of here and why I'm involed...DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS? Again and repeat I have tried everything except the letter and actually did that Monday. I'm guessing with your advise of what I can do they cant that I will not get a response for a month or so...Again, sit and wait. Oh wait, already tried to sell and rent at an expense of another 1500 UPFRONT! Seriously, stop with your shenanigans as its just not realistic and costly. So Exit companies, yes they provide a service. Can you not give that to them? AGAIN, instead of bashing can you give the low down on whom is good? 3rd or 4th request...You say criticize Don P...Well guess, what I replied to a similar response he made on quit paying upfront and no criticizing simply I disagree with statements like this that you two have. Finally, the last one was saying that you and him were advocates against paying upfront and AGAIN repeating is BS in that I lost respect in you both for saying this countless times. However, again re-repeat whom is good instead of bashing. No one seems to be able to pony up to this only bash. Stop it and really help!

Jeff F.
Jun 05, 2019

One more time :

Anyone stupid enough to give their hard earned money to some company they " heard about " on the internet deserves to lose their money . What do you know about them ..... their real names ? Their criminal records ?

Yes that's how stupid it sounds to give THOUSANDS of dollars to someone who promises to do something you can do yourself for free .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jun 05, 2019 06:38 AM

Jun 07, 2019

jefff382 wrote:
So Exit companies, yes they provide a service. Can you not give that to them?

Yes, some exit companies do provide a service...for thousands of dollars! I'm just saying that most of these exit/relief/cancel companies are scams. Just read through many of the threads on these boards about the likes of Castle Law Group. And if these exit companies do accomplish what the owners paid them thousands of dollars to do, well it is something that the owner could have done himself for a lot less money.

I will bring up Don P's example again. He was able to get rid of unwanted timeshares by contacting the resort. He did not have to pay any exit company thousands of dollars to do that. The same could be said of many owners.

Lance C.
Jun 07, 2019

Just to add to Lance's post . I was determined to make getting rid of my timeshares my priority . I made many phone calls to the resorts and made sure I got a hold of the right person that handles these matters . I prepared my pitch ahead of time . I was ready for any arguments they might have . I started out by informing them that I was going to get the deeds transferred out of my name and it was in their best interest to work with me . I informed them that I had no obligation to assure them that the next owner would continue to pay the annual maintenance fees and assessments .

Apparently it worked and I was rid of the two timeshares in less than two weeks . The process was quick and inexpensive . I have copies of the two quit claim deeds and I haven't paid maintenance fees or assessments since 2011 . After the transactions were finalized I sent gift cards to each of the ladies that assisted me with the paperwork .

You yourself may not be good at negotiating but you might have a friend or family member that can call on your behalf . Trust me it's worth the effort . Talk it over with your family and friends and make it your priority to rid yourself of a lifetime of ever increasing maintenance fees and assessment without becoming a victim of scammers.

If anyone has success negotiating their own exit please come back to the forum and share your experience with the rest of us . I am so grateful for my success that I devote time each week to help others through the forums .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jun 07, 2019 06:58 PM

Jul 18, 2019

Hi I just applied for this Wyndham ownership without knowing everything..now I realized that I did a bug mistake.I need help.I called Wyndham to cancel my contract but they want me to call a third party agency to sell it. But I am scared to do it.

KhindRex M.
Jul 18, 2019

khindrexm wrote:
Hi I just applied for this Wyndham ownership without knowing everything..now I realized that I did a bug mistake.I need help.I called Wyndham to cancel my contract but they want me to call a third party agency to sell it. But I am scared to do it.

How long ago did you purchase this, where did you purchase, and how much did you pay? Answering these questions will give others an opportunity to better help you with your predicament.

Lance C.
Jul 27, 2019

I bought a time share about one year ago and did not understand what I was getting into. I did not understand all that I was agreeing to. The time company is Wyndham. When I bought this timeshare they let me believe that the point that I bought never expired just accumulated. There was a lot of ends and outs that I discovered after the deal was done. Led to believe that if timeshare was not for me then they would take it back. I need to get rid of this burden. If you can help please let me know. Thanks.

James

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.